It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
(male)

prairie_boy HB User
Seizure Recovery Period - Methods to shorten the Process?

Hi,

I have been reading posts on this board all afternoon looking for the answers to some of my questions. Some of the posts have been very useful. However, I'm still searching for a little help and direction.

I started having febral seizures as a child. These were controlled by dilantin until I was 15 and was weaned off of the meds. I lived seizure-free for 10 years and had a reoccurance at the age of 25 at which time I was put back on Dilantin. I have the suspicision that I may have had the occasional seizure during the intervening years (based on the after effects described below) following episodes of drinking in college. But the reason for the reoccurances at the age of 25 was attributed to a lesion detected by CAT scan.

For the subsequent 12 years the Dilantin seemed to control the seizures. I would experience the occasional aura which, if I focused on it, would disappear after 10-15 seconds. However, in the past 3 years I have had four seperate episodes. Two were diagnosed as grand mal events, the other two as partial episodes.

Although, I would prefer to be free of the seizures totally. The frequency of the events is not my major concern. Three of the seizures have occurred at the beginning of April - I have had one for the last three years in a row within a two-week time frame.

My main problem has been recovery from the events. Typically the day following the event I am tired and have a serious headache, but notice no other major effects. It is the days that follow which seem to create the most trouble. I typically experience up to two weeks, sometimes longer, of confusion, tiredness, lack of motivation, the inability to focus on activities and tasks. I read someone describe this as the feeling of being "whacked out".

Because I go through this following every event, I would like to know if there there are any methods or tools that others might be aware of that can help shorten this recovery period?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Prairie boy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2005, 05:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
Re: Seizure Recovery Period - Methods to shorten the Process?

You can look into the Vagus nerve stimulater. This will control seizures for 1/3 of patients, another 1/3 will have fewer seizures or a shorter recovery time, the last 1/3 is not helped and may have more seizures. Unfortunately there is no way to tell which third you will fall into unless you try. It is worth talking to your neuro about.

There is a new brain pacemaker, a DEEP brain stimulator that plants the stimulator in the brain at the focus, as well. I do not know if they have stats yet on how effective it is.

Some try a modified Atkins diet, doctor supervised and find some better control....

It is so frustrating. Recovery can take so long post seizure. My son can have problems from a few hours to days before he fully recovers.

Old 04-18-2005, 08:26 AM   #3
(male)

prairie_boy HB User

Thanks for the advice. Where would I find information on the vagus nerve stimulator?

It seems that as I have gotten older the recovery time increases. When I was younger recovery took maybe a day or two. Now on the outside it can take upwards to a month with the frustration and lack of sleep, and guilt. I feel I should be able to bounce right back from these things. I try to carry on my life as I normally would, but I'm never sure what is hurting my recovery more the actual after effects, or the frustration in not being able to get back to normal for such a long period.

Because the events seem so infrequent when I do finally recover I try not to dwell on the incident and it is not until after I get hit with one again that I go looking for answers. Aside from the bit of information I have gathered looking on this and other boards. I don't even have a clear picture of what my body is going through during this phase.

I had my last seizure April 11th. The following day I had a severe headache, the day after that, if I recall properly, I was tired, but felt not too bad. But as the week progressed my confusion and fatigue increased.

Today I woke up this morning at about 5.00 AM after a short sleep - 4.5 hours and I've felt like I've been in a fog since I got up. Added to all this, I run a small business which I have no motivation to do anything with at the moment, though I know I need to to pay the bills.

Old 04-18-2005, 04:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

My father has to sleep hours and hours after his grand mals. He can have and sleep for 16 or 17 hours. He often has headaches and stuff the next day. He was on dilantin as a teen (his seizures came from a brain tumor and surgery) and like you, weaned off and was seizure free for 20 years. Then one day at 35 he had a grand mal had to go back on dilantin full force. Now he has to take it vigilantly to avoid seizures.

Anyway, I don't have any advice for you, but I'd be interested in hearing any replies so I can get back to my dad. I know he hates being worthless and feeling like crap all the next day.
DD born 3/24/2005

Closed Thread