It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2005, 11:51 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

bettyst HB User
Post more about Tripp and a few ?

We just got home from the hosptial Sat after going in on Monday after. He was throwing up what I thought was coffe and doesn't drank coffee...turns out to be blood. After tons of test showing all normal things...our doctor feels he has a slow bleed ulcer and he started him on Nexium. Even though an ulcer did not show up in the upper GI....he still could have one.In about 30% of cases they don't show up. I believe that the Lamictal caused him to have the headaches which made him SICK causing the ulcer...doc said 'maybe"

If you remember my post he has been sick almost every other day or several times a month since Nov when doc increased his Lamictal from 100 mg to 150mg twice daily. When we say neuro on April 8 he still said it was not the meds so increased again by addding 25 mg at night.He told me"I think I started Tripp out to high,so this time we will add slowly"!!! WHAT!! YES!!! He started Tripp out at 100 mg twice daily then increased to 150 twice daily in Nov..that is when the headaches and vomiting started to really take off worst! WELL...now we are going off Lamictal taking 50mg in am and 50 mg in pm for 2 weeks...then 50 mg in pm for 2 weeks.Then stops!! HE DID NOT tell me to increase the Tegertol!!!!!!! BUT our wonderful GP doctor did...He said.."he can't go off without increasing the Tegertol or he will have more seizure...so he increased the Tegertol by 100 mg daily...now we are taking 1200 mg daily taken at morning,afternoon and evening. I SWEAR the neuro is crazy!@!

I was telling our GP doctor that I wish Tripp's old neuro was still in Greenwood...he tells me she is now in Grenada which is about the same driving distance from me...seems her DH had a heart attack and she took a 6 months leave to be with him and now is living in Grenada!! I have an appointment with her on May 9!! She is such a great doc and takes lots of time with Tripp...the dang one when had been using for the last 9 months is awful..not at all friendly and never even talkes to Tripp he just ask me how he is doing.

OK for the questions:
1) How long does it take for the increase to help? I know that GP doctor told me that expect some change when going off one med.
2) Can Tegertol alone work?
3) Is 1200 mg daily too high?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2005, 04:26 PM   #2
(female)

10azty HB User
Re: more about Tripp and a few ?

hey... stick in there, youre really handeling yourself well, friend.

okay, if i can help at all...
1. this i cant really help with because its different for alot of people and i really dont know enough to say a thing.
2. yes, i bileve that tegretol alone can help. i mean, it's different for every one but this medication was put out there to be used as a single med or with others. so, it can help. plus, when my brother was stable from 5-18 yrs old, all he took was tegretol. It's supposed to be one of the older drugs but its worked for him in the past and remains the foundation of Jim's meds.
3. I'll check with Jim and mom to see what his dose is. I'm not sure what hes taking but its alot. The answer to this question really lies in Tripp's (your son?) bloodwork. He should get his Tegretol levels checked and see if he's toxic. Don't worry, meds are an exact science and really require alot of give and take (total bummer, but what else can we do?) ...

another thing, you really sound like you know your son (of course). Take this advice with a grain of sand and do your research so your knowledgable, but my mother has always been able to 'tweak' jimmys meds. maybe thats because shes been working at it for the past 15 years, but shes always been able to immeadeatly tell if Jimmys suffering from the symptoms drs say will take weeks to show. Like, in a matter of days. So, dont feel completley helpless, the more you learn about these things, the better you will be able to help with his meds.

LIKE I SAID, YOURE DOING A GREAT JOB.

i have the philosophy that i've got to learn all about this i can. there isnt nearly enough research or knowledge about any of this epilepsy stuff out there but i've decided i'm going to learn as much as one person possibly can. and that makes you feel alot less helpless.

good luck.

Old 04-19-2005, 09:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User
Re: more about Tripp and a few ?

yOU are indeed doing a great job! I am so sorry all this happened, so scary!!

I would see ifyou can find a new neuro. If this guy is adding meds to fast and he only sees it afterwards......yikes...

Hang in there. Keep pushing for answers. Hoping he is doing better with the nexium!

Closed Thread