It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2005, 11:51 AM   #1
(female)

minsm HB User
Epilepsy and work?

Hi guys! I was wondering something and it is bothering me quite abit! How do you deal with your epilepsy at work? I work in the schools as a supply teacher and I also work in the group homes and I am affraid that I will get some of my leg jerks while I work. I was just wondering what you would do if that was to happen to you? I am very nervous because I am rreducing my meds and I don't want to tell my boss that I have Epilepsy because of the discrimanation Is there some way I can tell my boss that I will have to take a year off because of this? I just want some opinions on this matter! And if I get pregnant I can't have a maternity leave because I am only a Casual at work how do I go about this? Has anyone had the same problem? Thanks !

Mindy

Old 04-25-2005, 02:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Epilepsy and work?

There are a LOT of variables on this issue.

It sounds like you are part time. thats one of the items: Part time or full time with the company.

How long you have been working at the company.

If they have a termination clause where either party may end the employment contract (i.e. an "at will" work contract sometimes used)

How comfortable you are with the employer. Are they accepting of people with handicaps?

Thats a partial list. Under the EEOC/ A.D.A. (if I remember my accronyms) they only need to make "reasonable" adaptations (slightly larger working area, raised desk for wheelchairs, hands free phones if para-palegic, etc). Not buy custom equiptment just for persons that are disabled.... thats prefferential treatment compared to the other staff.

Personally I decided to tell my employers AFTER I was hired right away. Then if I was terminated right away I could yell descrimination. They were very accepting and even told me if I felt a seizure comming on to head to the break room and let it pass; then start back on the phones. Never had problems at that company. They were very understanding. Worked there 2 years until my seizures worsened and I gave 2 weeks notice for quitting, explaining it was medical reason.

However many will use knowing about a condition against a person. So it is a hard call to make. If you will be unable to work for MONTHS, it is more likely termination is in their best option. Unless you can make a deal for leave of absence and then come back when you are able to.

--Travis

Last edited by Travis from MN; 04-25-2005 at 02:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
(female)

minsm HB User
Re: Epilepsy and work?

Thank you very much! I work in a group home with mentally and physically challenged people. I am Casual wich is only on-call when they need me! I was Part-time but there were some cut backs and I prefered to stay Casual as for my condition. I think I will try to cut a deal with the company about the leave of Absence, the only thing is that I will be going through invitro-fertilisation this summer in August and if I do get pregnant I want to take it easy as well...therefore that means that I would need almost 1 year off. I really don't know what to do? but I will try to take a Leave and if not then I have no clue. I wish I worked with people who were more sympathetic like in your case. well I guess I will have to approach them sooner or later! Thank you very much for your help it was nice of you to help me with all those options !

Mindy

Closed Thread