It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2005, 12:41 PM   #1
(male)

Kramer_DU HB User
Exclamation New to Keppra, need some help!!

So my neuro just added keppra to my list of meds for my partial complex siezures. I was reading up on this drug and some of these side effects are starting to worry me. I got these side effects off of fda.gov

sleepiness or feeling tired
weakness
difficulty coordinating muscles normally, (e.g., abnormal walk)
aggression, anger, and irritability
agitation, anxiety, and other mood changes
decreased ability to cope with daily life events
feeling depressed or worsening depression
thoughts of suicide

I'm kind of worried about the last 5. Have any of you who take Keppra experienced any of these?
Well I'm of to go get this med. Hope it finally puts an end to these damn things!!!

Old 04-26-2005, 01:23 PM   #2
(female)

dragonprincess HB User
Re: New to Keppra, need some help!!

Hi , I've been on Keppra for 3 years now and yes HAVE gotten most of these symtomes but they left on out loss of appatite . Well i'm preganat now about 31 weeks which helped my eating habeits for know but befor the baby i went form 168 to 103 in less then 5 months not good could not eat.But it's dirrent for every one .The sleepyness goes away after about 3 to 4 weeks . My self I'm going to try and get off it after the baby . It did help for about year and a half then my seizurs started to chang become different . If you want to ask me more feel free to .It does work great for some people .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2005, 05:53 PM   #3

buliem HB User

My 10 year old takes Keppra for generalized seizures along with depakote. The addition of the Keppra was the one thing that got his grand mals (tonic clonics) to stop. It does make him a little hyper and irritable at times but we are dealing with it. I haven't seen depression since he first started it. For us it has been a wonder drug. Patrick is going on 2 months seizure free. Since we were able to cut back a bit on the depakote he's better able to function. Before the Keppra he was still having grand mals (at least a couple a month) and was falling asleep at school from too much depakote.

Good luck. If you do experience some side-effects I think they should lessen over time. Of course thoughts of suicide can never be taken lightly. However I think that is a pretty rare side effect.

Old 04-28-2005, 07:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

The FIRST question would be are you experiencing any of those?

Keppra is, compared to a LOT of the drugs, rather neutral for the sideFX.

I have been on 7 or 8 drugs, so I have had my fair share of experiences on different drugs and drug interactions.

Don't get ahead of yourself. Having the drug sheet is to be warned **IF** those appear. not to expect those.

Sleep problems are common, they tend to go away within a month. "Kepp-rage" is another problems that has been reported. Best way to classify it is anger outbursts, hard to control. sometimes it can swing to tears/crying.

Just don't get ahead of yourself if you are NOT having problems on Keppra.

I'm at 3000/day and only had problems when they tried me at 4000. All was fixed when I was dropped back to 3000.

--Travis

Old 04-29-2005, 02:57 PM   #5
(female)

Eilidh1 HB User

Hellooo Kramer.

I've been on Keppra (with Lamotrigine) for nearly a year now - I'm on 3000mg per day. I too have tried lots of drugs which either had horrid side effects or just didn't work. Concerning nasty FX, Epilem was the worst for me - major depression, which was sorted as soon as i came off it. Although Keppra isn't controlling the seizures, I have NO nasty FX at all now - I feel like I've got my life back. I'm back to my normal weight, have a glow on my cheeks and the sparkle back in my eyes . When I first started taking Keppra I got mad half hours where I would go hyper (much to the amusement of myself and my friends) but I don't even have them anymore. But they're not really doing their job, so I'm going to have to up the Lamotrigine or add some Topirimate. But everyone's different - thankfully I'm no longer depressed, but what works for one person may not work for another. It's just a case of trial, fingers crossed and error.

Good luck!
Eilidh
x

Old 05-03-2005, 10:54 AM   #6
(female)

Karapeters HB User

I was on Keppra for a while, but it made me angry and mean. I am allergic to Lamictal. I get red itchy hives all over me when I take it.

Old 05-03-2005, 01:35 PM   #7
(female)

hot day HB User
Lightbulb Re: New to Keppra, need some help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karapeters
I was on Keppra for a while, but it made me angry and mean. I am allergic to Lamictal. I get red itchy hives all over me when I take it.

Hi
I was on Keppra too just after it came out. My neurologist told me my mood swings (rages) had nothing to do with it, it took a while but then another drug came out and its fantastic. its called 'Topirimate' you have to take it with another drug, but there are loads of different drugs it can be taken with. What ever you do dont take Keppra (obviously dont just stop-see you neurologist first)

Old 05-03-2005, 01:49 PM   #8
(female)

hot day HB User
Exclamation Re: New to Keppra, need some help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer_DU
So my neuro just added keppra to my list of meds for my partial complex siezures. I was reading up on this drug and some of these side effects are starting to worry me. I got these side effects off of fda.gov

sleepiness or feeling tired
weakness
difficulty coordinating muscles normally, (e.g., abnormal walk)
aggression, anger, and irritability
agitation, anxiety, and other mood changes
decreased ability to cope with daily life events
feeling depressed or worsening depression
thoughts of suicide

I'm kind of worried about the last 5. Have any of you who take Keppra experienced any of these?
Well I'm of to go get this med. Hope it finally puts an end to these damn things!!!
Hi
i was one of the first to take Keppra after it came out and my only advice to you is to see your neurologist and tell him to get you off it!!!!!!!!. It causes huge mood swings and you can be totally out of control. Theres a fairly new drug out called Topirimate asked to go on that along with another drug (it cant be taken on it own)

Old 05-03-2005, 08:43 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Hot Day,

Side comment, Topamax, the drug that you suggest looking into, has it's drawbacks as well. It lowers energy levels, drops appitite, foods taste different, Soda's often have a metalic taste to them, or taste stale. Hair loss or hair thinning. Initial effects are memory and often "word finding" when speaking or composing letters.

Perspiration tends to cease or become very little when on Topa. Tempratures will feel different; sometimes you go from hot to cold. I found myself adjusting the room temp more than a few times. Sometimes in the winter I had the window open I was so hot; or so it felt.

I had to learn how to force feed myself. I went 2 days without eating and was not hungry due to the drug. One needs to adapt to the effects of topamax. At 300 appitite became zero. at 400 energy dropped; at 500 I couldn't pull the 10 mile bike I did the year before a few times a week. I couldn't pull 2 miles without feeling I did 30 miles on full power.

Topa is not for everybody.... Just sharing what I have experienced on it...

ALSO avoid constantly taking the 25mg tabs if you can. If your dose if 50mg or 150 whatever you end up at; if it is something 50 get a script for the 50's!!! they ARE coated. the 25's are NOT. Only use the 25's when first titrating up on Topa (first starting or adjusting dose).

--Travis

Old 05-07-2005, 09:24 PM   #10
(female)

dovian HB User

I was on Topomax, had depression and anorexia (not wanting to eat). Wasn't hungry and just plain didn't want to put food in my mouth. Lost ten lbs and had to go see a shrink. Am still on it but at a much lower dose, now with Keppra added. I have had mood swings but I honestly don't know if they're from the Keppra or not as I've always had that kind of personality - at any rate it doesn't seem worse than before. I have been seizure free for almost 5 years although the Keppra is very recent, I was on Depakote and Topomax until about a year ago. I have lost some weight on the Keppra that I had gained on the Depakote but I don't know how much of that is also due to recent lifestyle changes. Overall I'm very happy with the Keppra, except that I have to take it 2x day instead of just once.

Closed Thread