It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2005, 02:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Disability Process....any experience/comments?

I've been off work on long term disability insurance (through my former employer) for the last 16 months...now I'm in the process of going through the Social Security Disability and Medicaid application processes, and don't know what to expect. I've heard to expect at least one denial, if not two, and I've also heard that with frequent seizures (documented by home health and my doctor, as well as my former employer, if they go back that far) speeds up approval...I just want this all resolved, so I know what to plan for (living under a bridge, or whatever). I've got help with the Medicaid process through an agency referred to me by the hospital that I owe thousands of dollars to- ICU, multiple ER admissions, MD office affililated with them), and the LTD insurance company has a rep who deals with Soc Sec...which also helps.... Just wondering what it was like for anyone out there.....thanks.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:05 AM   #2
(female)

tiresome HB User
Re: Disability Process....any experience/comments?

Hello, it took me one year to get approved. When I was denied on the reconcideration level I asked the man at DDS why I was denied when my case meets the criteria in the Adult Listings on the SSA website. He told me that the criteria listed there was what the ALJ's used. So when my case went to the hearing level (I requested an on-the-record decision to speed things up) the judge gave me a "fully aproval" letter.
When they sent me forms to have 3 people fill out who have witnessed seizures, I made copies of the form and had 8 people fill them out. ExCo-workers, neighbors, family, get as many people as you can to fill them out. (Although I don't know why because they never contacted any of them). With complex partial seizures as long as you have more than one a week (I wish I only had one a week, more like 5 to 20 on a good week) then you qualify and meet the criteria on the Adult Listings.
I hope this helped.
Laura

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2005, 05:28 PM   #3
(female)

froggiediva HB User

I got approved for disability after 1 denial. The first time they denied me because I had been employed in the past and I didn't have enough proof that I wasn't unable to work. My seizures have progressively gotten worse just recently and are not like they used to be. I have them more frequently now and I do have black outs and my neurologist has put me through tons of tests recently for the epilepsy surgery that was all medical proof that showed I had seizures very frequently and I had an MRI and a CAT scan done. The more medical proof you have to back up your condition, the easier it is to get approved without getting a lawyer to help you. I was approved in less than a year. Good Luck.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

Thanks for the feedback.
Over the last 16 months, I think there have been 13-15 ambulance calls to the ER, either from work, or from my former employer when I called in, or when I went out at a neighbors....I've had 2 seizures in my MD's office, and home health said she saw at least 6 (both have filled out their description forms, and I've sent those in). My long term disability insurance company has a person who helps with SSD applications, and if it comes to a hearing, the company sends someone to go with me, since they've been collecting data about why I can't work for over a year. It's just frustrating. I don't want to be doing this at all...I want to work. But even unloading the dishwasher wears me out, and I've got to go sit down...the seizures are happening about 2-3 times/week now, which is BETTER, but still not good....they were happening more than that when I had the bladder infection, but now I've got a respiratory infection brewing (not enough technicolor snot or fever to get it treated yet)....just hope I don't end up out of it again like I've been for the last 4 months....

When SSD asks for additional comments, I told them that I plan to return to work as soon as I'm able, but my endurance is horrible, and the predicatibilty of the seizures is bad. My balance is off, and I can never tell if a day is going to be "good" or "bad"....it doesn't matter what sort of job- I'm not dependable right now. My goal is to slowly work back into what I do, and get back to where things were going well. In the meantime, it's like application city around here...that's enough stress to make me cringe sometimes- am I answering things right? Am I describing things right (when I'm "out" for most of it, and sleep like the dead for hours afterwards)?...etc....

I do have enough people who've seen the seizures, if I have to go back to my former employer, and most of the administrative staff there, who saw what happened when I got sick. Even a lot of the ambulance guys are like "hey, I know you"....but they got there when it was pretty much over, and I was dazed and out of it....I remember very little of any of the dozen+ ambulance trips. The abnormal EEG in ICU in May of this year should help. It's just such a demoralizing thing to not be able to work, and want to work, but not know if I'm even going to get through making the bed without getting that "uh oh" feeling.....

Closed Thread