It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2005, 02:51 PM   #1
(female)

luvmypinkpdle HB User
are seizures genetic?

My brother and his wife had been trying to have another baby until their 16 month suddenly started having seizures. My niece is on meds now and seems to be doing good but the cause was never discovered. Just when they had decided to put off having another baby my sis-in-law became pregnant. Now they are both worried that this baby may experience seizures also. We have no history of this in our family and do not even know anyone with seizures.
Does anyone have more than one child with seizures? Is there any information or evidence that if one child has seizures there's a greater chance that the siblings also will have it.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: are seizures genetic?

I've known of several people with seizures, and nobody else in the family has them...a lot of the time, the cause is never known, but with such a young child developing them, they might want to consider genetic testing. Most people I've known with seizures, however do not have any siblings that also have them. Best to talk with the doc, and see what he things (probably the 16 month old's pediatrician/neurologist, as well as the ob-gyn)..... gotta be scary for them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2005, 07:56 AM   #3
(female)

youngdogs2 HB User

H sam I am new to the boards and noticed you had vaccine related seizure? What type of vaccine etc? My 9month old has deloped seizures right after she had here booster for DTaP.

Pam in NH

Old 08-30-2005, 08:25 PM   #4
(female)

OhioCathy HB User

I have three children and only one takes seizure medication. The doctor said to me that they have no more of a chance than any other child so don't worry because there is medications to control seizures now.

Old 08-31-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
(female)

youngdogs2 HB User

my husband has a seizure disorder since he was 26yrs old and he is 41 now. He has been taking dilatin for entire time. We have 3 kids and 1 is having seizures. My neuro says that she doesnt' believe it is genentic at all... Who knows

Pam in nh

Old 09-02-2005, 06:04 AM   #6
(female)

youngdogs2 HB User

Sam, thank you so much for you imput. When my daughter started with the seizures it was about 1 or so after the dtap shot. I didn't put it together unitl our neuro asked if she had been to the doctors lately for vaccinations. I think it was a trigger and I will contact the info you gave me.

Thanks again.

pam in NH

Old 09-03-2005, 05:26 AM   #7
(female)

youngdogs2 HB User

Thank you so much Sam. She was actually due for more shots 3 weeks ago and I said that exactly, no more shots.. My MD was ok with it but was trying to say that it would be so rare for her to have anymore reactions to other vaccines....But in the end she was supportive of my choice. It makes me feel better to know that we are not overeacting and that this could have been caused from the vaccine. We hope to know more when we see Dr. Thiele at Mass General in boston next month.

Thanks again

Pam

Closed Thread