It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2006, 02:56 AM   #1
(female)

Samar HB User
Snakes & Epilepsy - Hallucinations Anyone?

Does anyone else have a problem with vivid nightmares about snakes? I have what feel like childhood 'memories' of adults placing snakes on my body. I have often wondered if any other epileptics had a similar problem. Would it be the years of phenobarb, or could the seizures themselves do something like this to a young child?

I would love to know.

Samar

Old 01-28-2006, 02:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: Snakes & Epilepsy - Hallucinations Anyone?

Could be a form of seizure...if it's some sort of memory, remember that a child will remember things differently than an adult, so the "snakes" could be something like a jump rope, or something besides actual snakes (I struggle with some of this looking back at childhood stuff). I've also had reactions to medications where I've seen giant orange spiders- I knew they weren't real, but they still scared me- and I was feeling bad enough to almost call 911, but then what do I tell them- there's a giant orange spider in my room? I knew where that would land me-- after changing meds/doses, it hasn't happened again. As with childhood stuff, once I got it clear what happened (which may not be entirely possible depending on age), the memories stopped, and while I might think about stuff sometimes, it doesn't sneak up on me out of the blue.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2006, 02:40 PM   #3
(male)

_lee_ HB User

as a child i would have seizures with a high temperature but i would also
have hallucinations about spiders when this happend it always started
from sleep

what i mean is the hallucinations would start while i was sleeping
even in sleep i new it was an hallucination and would be panicing
to wake up, i still remember the feeling now im 29 it was a feeling of fear/panic
and thats the best way i could discribe it (it was the most strange feeling)

when i awoke it would carry on untill i soaked my head with cold water
and cooled myself down then it would stop.

i was on phenobarb as child untill i was so sick from it my mum took me off it @ around age 9 ...i must have been on it about 3 years

after i was taken off it i never had a seizure again untill i was 15/16
but still had hallucinations with high temps

funny thing is around the time seizures started up again i stopped getting hallucinations from high temps ???

for the first time in years this week i have a real high temp due to a chest infection im not having hallucinations but i am having real strange thoughts
the other day i was convinced i had lung cancer i must strees i dont
i even went to hospital and made them xray my lungs

i know its my temp thats doing it cos after taking paracetamol
what brings my temp down the strange thoughts are gone.

untill i seen your posts ive never made any connection with my epilepsy hallucinations and strange thoughts ive been getting this week

but i think it could be possible as i have
generalized epilepsy where the whole of my brain is affected.

after writing all this im unsure if i wana post it but im going to anyway

Lee

Old 02-02-2006, 05:25 AM   #4
(female)

Samar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurowreck
Could be a form of seizure...if it's some sort of memory, remember that a child will remember things differently than an adult, so the "snakes" could be something like a jump rope, or something besides actual snakes (I struggle with some of this looking back at childhood stuff). I've also had reactions to medications where I've seen giant orange spiders- I knew they weren't real, but they still scared me- and I was feeling bad enough to almost call 911, but then what do I tell them- there's a giant orange spider in my room? I knew where that would land me-- after changing meds/doses, it hasn't happened again. As with childhood stuff, once I got it clear what happened (which may not be entirely possible depending on age), the memories stopped, and while I might think about stuff sometimes, it doesn't sneak up on me out of the blue.
Thanks for your reply. I agree, it's tough to sort through impressions and 'memories' of childhood, looking back at it all from adulthood. (the obvious question: which events really happened to me as a kid, which did not??) Sobers me just thinking about it again, what medications can do to the mind. Such a catch 22, we need the intervention to survive, but then have to live with the 'aftermath'. Luckily, I have not needed medication in the last years to keep my seizures under control, I am very fortunate that way. But why snakes? Why spiders?

Old 02-02-2006, 05:45 AM   #5
(female)

Samar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by _lee_
as a child i would have seizures with a high temperature but i would also
have hallucinations about spiders when this happend it always started
from sleep

what i mean is the hallucinations would start while i was sleeping
even in sleep i new it was an hallucination and would be panicing
to wake up, i still remember the feeling now im 29 it was a feeling of fear/panic
and thats the best way i could discribe it (it was the most strange feeling)

when i awoke it would carry on untill i soaked my head with cold water
and cooled myself down then it would stop.

i was on phenobarb as child untill i was so sick from it my mum took me off it @ around age 9 ...i must have been on it about 3 years

after i was taken off it i never had a seizure again untill i was 15/16
but still had hallucinations with high temps

funny thing is around the time seizures started up again i stopped getting hallucinations from high temps ???

for the first time in years this week i have a real high temp due to a chest infection im not having hallucinations but i am having real strange thoughts
the other day i was convinced i had lung cancer i must strees i dont
i even went to hospital and made them xray my lungs

i know its my temp thats doing it cos after taking paracetamol
what brings my temp down the strange thoughts are gone.

untill i seen your posts ive never made any connection with my epilepsy hallucinations and strange thoughts ive been getting this week

but i think it could be possible as i have
generalized epilepsy where the whole of my brain is affected.

after writing all this im unsure if i wana post it but im going to anyway

Lee
Thanks, Lee for responding. It takes a lot to talk about these things, usually you just don't, right? You sound like you can still feel the panic of when the hallucination would hit you. I find it hard to put into words, and it all seems so bizarre to me, never mind another person who is trying to make sense of it all. Most people just don't have a clue, easier to just keep my thoughts (and talk of nightmares) to myself.

Do you remember being able to tell anyone else about the spider incidents when you were a kid? I mean, are you talking about it now for the first time, or did your family know about the hallucinations? I know you and I are not alone, I know of 2 other epileptics who have issues like this with snakes. I did not talk to my mom about it until I was in my 30s. But why spiders? Why snakes?

I am lucky enough to be medication-free right now. Time to maybe just go on with life, stop trying to understand everything, and be thankful. It could all be so different.

Thanks again for responding.

Closed Thread