It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2006, 03:29 PM   #1
(female)

Tulac HB User
tegratol what's the limit(thanks for your replys)

I Take 1000mgs Of Tegratol Twice A Day
What Is The Safe Limit?????????

Last edited by Tulac; 02-05-2006 at 04:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2006, 05:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: tegratol what's the limit

1200 is typical max; but it MAY BE AS HIGH as 2000mg/day when used with other drugs **at the same time** for seizure control (as I quote from a book).

The above usually means the other drugs may have effects on Teg's levels, thus the need to increase the dose higher than normal to maintain teg in a persons system (the complex drug interaction chemistry I won't go into).

It also depends on the patient and how much THEY can handle without effects. I could take 1600 and 1800 in earlier years; but when my doc tried jumping my dose by adding a 600mg midday dose all at once bringing me to 2200 THAT I could not handle. I waited the 3 week "typical" body adjustment period. That didn't work. I was still having problems. I then did what I DO NOT recomend anybody attempt... Started to drop my midday dose slowly on the new midday dose on a weekly basis, then evaluate the following week and see if the symptoms were any different.

My Dr was not too happy with me for dropping the dose; but she told me she would have reduced it in the same timely manner that I did.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2006, 07:13 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bettyst HB User

My son,Tripp,is 26 and weighs 123 takes 1200mg of Tergrtol daily...has done so for years...no problems. He also takes 200mg of Zonegran.
Seizures pretty much under control....still has some simple complex seizures if he is really tired.

Old 02-05-2006, 04:21 PM   #4
(female)

Tulac HB User

hi thanks for letting me know how much tegratol you guys take .it was just that i started on 200mgs twice a day and it seemed that every time i saw my nuro he gave me more.
strange as it may seem in my circle of friends and family im the only one with epilepsy and sometimes i feel all on my own..im fed up with the remarks "dont have a fit near me"
any way thanks

Old 02-06-2006, 07:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

I'm sorry to hear that. People fear what they don't know. If you have any that are closer friends you may think about providing information about seizures, what to do (not to panic), and how it's no big deal. That you can't control them if one happens.

When I was in secondary school I know I felt that way, thankfully I never had one in school; not that changed how the students treated me (like dirt).

Best of luck; and know that you are not alone in how you feel.

--Travis

Closed Thread