It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2006, 05:34 AM   #1
(female)

Rebecca's Mom HB User
Feeling Better after a tonic/clonic seizure??

Hi - I wonder if anyone actually feels relief after a seizure. I have found that my daughter Rebecca (age 21-functions at @ age 4) feels better after a large seizure. It is like things are building and building and she is becoming more and more irritable and upset, but then once she has a large seizure, she is happier?

Has anyone experience the same? At times I find myself wanting her to have the seizure and get it over with and then she will feel better. Since she is unable to give me this information, I appreciate your input. It is so valuable for my husband and I as we try and figure where she is at.......loving mother to Rebecca.........Paula

The following user gives a hug of support to Rebecca's Mom:
petox1970 (06-24-2011)
Old 03-21-2006, 09:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: Feeling Better after a tonic/clonic seizure??

I don't have grand mals, but complex partials, and there's a weird feeling (not the aura) that happens up to several hours ahead of the seizure (that I don't recognize at the time) that feels like a lot of pressure and anxiety (with no reason for it). After the seizures, I sleep like the dead for hours, and wake up groggy, but without the pressure feeling....anyone who's been around me prior to a seizure has been able to tell if it's a 'good day', or 'bad day' by how I react to things. I don't see it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2006, 04:17 PM   #3
(female)

Rebecca's Mom HB User

A big thanks - any and all info helps.......Paula

Old 03-21-2006, 05:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

My emotional state doesn't change from before, to after a seizures is passed. The post-ictal state of the seizure may be mistaken for a confused, or altered state of mind. Be sure you are looking at a good hour or so AFTER the seizure occured, so not to be confused with a post-ictal seizure state; which can last, depending on the patient, for some duration of time. That was why I gave an hour for a time frame reference.

I no longer feel a seizure before it starts (the aura). In the past I would almost ALWAYS have an aura (usually a ringing in my ear) before a seizure would strike. It never was a "buildup" in my case leading to increased or worse seizures. Also in my case stress was not a factor, nor were weather factors.

After the GM's I am exhausted and tend to sleep for 1-2 hours allowing my body to recover. However between pre and post seizure I don't feel any difference other than the energy the seizure used up post seizure.

It's possible she is glad the seizure is over; I'd go by how long that aparent emotion is shown by her. Consider that.

Hope that helps somewhat.

--Travis

Old 03-23-2006, 04:48 AM   #5
(female)

Rebecca's Mom HB User

Travis - thanks for the input...........I appreciate hearing how seizures feel for others since Rebecca can't tell me.....take care of yourself.........Paula

Old 10-27-2006, 02:11 AM   #6
(male)

Greg'o HB User
Smile Re: Feeling Better after a tonic/clonic seizure??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca's Mom
Hi - I wonder if anyone actually feels relief after a seizure. I have found that my daughter Rebecca (age 21-functions at @ age 4) feels better after a large seizure. It is like things are building and building and she is becoming more and more irritable and upset, but then once she has a large seizure, she is happier?

Has anyone experience the same? At times I find myself wanting her to have the seizure and get it over with and then she will feel better. Since she is unable to give me this information, I appreciate your input. It is so valuable for my husband and I as we try and figure where she is at.......loving mother to Rebecca.........Paula
[ Reply] Paula hi i not only have [tonic-clonic /also i have [absence / focal / psychomotor] and i am not shore what i can do for you first off your dorter need's to find someting like a diry so she ca express her self and if she has got no one to go to and do it with out any of it coming back at her & buy reading about diffrent thing's then putting her thought's down it may help her understand her self and by doing this and letting other people know about what ever you end up helping other's with and buy doing this you make new firends you also be come a new person
just remember stress or depression it can take over if you let it i hope this has mad some census to you Paula. Greg'o

Old 10-27-2006, 07:12 AM   #7
(female)

Rebecca's Mom HB User

Hi - thanks Greg. Unfortunately, developmentally Rebecca is unable to express her thoughts in a written form. She can only give us a few verbal words as to how she feels and when she is frustrated or irritable, she does not have that understanding. Since, currently she is experiencing a greater amount (@2 tonic clonic/daily) of seizures...she is not irritable. Strange, but so it is..........Paula

Old 11-21-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
(female)

peters mum HB User

hi there
i too have a child with epilepsy. he is in mainstream school and seems to be a normal child to anyone looking at him. he does have special needs and he can display difficult behaviour. more so before a seizure the bigger the seizure the bigger the difference. he had a biggie 10 days ago and has been lovely since. the week previous he was awful. he struggles to express himself so can not find the words to tell me how he feels this is due to his epilepsy surgery. emotions are very confusing to him and verbalising them is impossible. i feel as though we all live under a thunder cloud in the run up to a seizure. lightening strikes and the air is clear and the sun emerges. sometimes momentarily other times for a few weeks. depending on the size of the seizure and the direction the wind is blowing. i hope that helps you
sheryl

Old 11-22-2006, 10:40 AM   #9
(female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User

Well, immediately after my tonic/clonic I felt nothing but exhausted...but days later it was as if all of the pressure that had been building in my head had been released. That's exactly how I described it recently to my new neurologist. I told him the seizure acted as a pressure release valve. I didn't realize how badly I had been feeling three weeks prior to the big seizure. My vision was blurred, I couldn't sleep, my fingers were tingly and I had a persistent headache. All of those symptoms vanished after the grand mal.

I can't believe I actually said to my husband, "Wow! That grand mal or whatever it's called did me a favor! I feel so much better!" Of course, that was right before the results of the EEG and MRI came in and I was told about this thing called Epilepsy.

Closed Thread