It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #1
(female)

jeafra7 HB User
Standing and Blacking Out/Seizures or What???

My nephew has been having a funny thing happen to him, he has never had a seizure and he is 42 years old. He can be shopping in a store and all of a sudden he just zoned out for about 5 minutes, he can't describe it any other way, doesn't hear any noice, his brain doesn't give him any warning it just happens. He just goes out standing up kinda and then all of sudden he is ok. He doesn't jerk or anything like that. He said he can't even tell a doctor about this because he can barely describe what is taking place, it has been happening about 5 times a day. After it happens he said he feels real tired. I am so familiar with this board because our grandson has myoclonic jerks and I have posted here before. Has anyone ever had this happen before and what would it be called. He doesn't drive, so don't worry about that.

Old 04-23-2006, 12:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Standing and Blacking Out/Seizures or What???

First thing that comes to mind is what is the lighting when these occur?

Flourescent tubes are known for seizure triggers. Most stores use these for lighting due to being cost effecient and lighting a larger area.

You also mentioned another family member, so it could be possible there is some genetic line that is deposed to seizures from somwhere in the genetic family history.

Do your research and family conversations; but be warned; seizures, the "s" word tends to be taboo in some areas. It is not something people like to have documented in family history for some reason. Some even refuse to talk about it. Being I suffer from them I don't understand why, but can only relay this.

I hope it does not worsen above the "stare-off" seizures; and yes that is a type of seizure. The person usually is "zoned out" when this type of seizure occurs; similar to vegging in front of a TV and not hearing people in the room talking or the phone ringing.

Possible that a EEG test, the short 45 minute version, may or may not help. Using the strobe could generate abnormal brainwaves, that could help diagnose the problem (or maybe not).

I'd start with Family history and choose what to do from there. That way you may have history to tell to the Dr if there is seizures/epilepsy in the family (this DOES help)

If the person is not on medications now, is there a need to be on them? Maybe. Remember, meds DO have side effects, and might make his life more stable if put on a medication regiment.

--Travis

Last edited by Travis from MN; 04-23-2006 at 12:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

Might also be from standing too long, and blood flowing 'south', and not enough going 'north'....if he moves again, does it get better? (improving blood flow)... there are a lot of benign situations (like passing out in choir, crowds, etc) where it's from the blood pooling, and not sending enough to the brain.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
(female)

jeafra7 HB User

Just wanted to post about the grandson that has seizures, he is not any relationship by blood to our family, he is just a friend that we call our grandson, I will relate these ideas to him.

Closed Thread