It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

bettyst HB User
simple partial and some question

Tripp is still having simple partials daily. As many as 3 some days. They last only for a few seconds...like less than 10!! He can go on with what he was doing after he has the seizure. His SP cause his head to turn left...then he will SOMETIMES say "I'm okay" They do not cause him any problems. Do we just live with them like this since they don't cause problems or go into anything else??

He is taking 400 mg of Tegretol xr three times a day and Keppra 750 mg twice daily. Here are my questions:

1) Do you think we need to increase the Keppra??

2) How often do you have simple partial?

3) What are your simple partials like?

Betty

AND Please forgive me if I have asked this before.‹

Old 05-23-2006, 10:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: simple partial and some question

He just had an increase in meds from what I remember you typing. I'd compare the seizures and severity now with the ones he had before the med increase. See if there is a difference, or appears to be.

If they have lessened, then the increased dose was a good decision.

We'll see what the Dr says. He may need some fine tuning with the meds, but as long as he doesn't seem overmedicated as I think you thought he might be at one point, then, try a small adjustment *if* the Dr says that may still be needed to better the control.

(side note, Keppra increases are usually in 500's, Tegs usually 200's if you don't remember that; I DO as a patient! You can nit pic if you want and split the Keppra using the 250 {they ARE made} and TegXR's does come in 100's. Boy does my mouth remember the TegXR shortage!)

Every person has actions with their seizures. One could GUESS his verbalizing "i'm ok" may be an indication the seizure is over and he is back to normal (i.e. no ambulance needed). I have limited verbal after a CP and GM but fully understand whats going on around me. Frequently I'd say "I'm Fine" for some odd reason but couldn't say anything else (good choice of words guy!) until I was more recovered.

For frequency of seizures it is a patient to patient basis to define "normal". Normal for me is about ONE seizure every 90-100 days.

When I was having 6-10/mo (my roller-coaster) it was crazy. I never had that many per month before, and I now I'm having atleast 4 every month those years. Talk about a swing.

Normal prior all my life had been >one per year before that. I didn't have them at that rate. I held a license for 3 years!

So you see how definition for seizure frequency is different (and changes for the same person).

Now for me normal is one about every 3-4 months for a CP or SP to strike.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: simple partial and some question

This is partly from what I remember (not a lot) and partly what I've been told...
Starts with a weird feeling in my chest and an "uh oh" not right feeling....then get a bit scattered- if the aura is long enough, I go get in bed- and take the prn doses of Klonopin and inderal- if there's an autonomic component involved), if not, I get on the floor. I've been told I do chewing movements (tongue and inside of cheeks get it), have facial twitching, and sometimes left arm twitching- will last a couple of minutes, then I'm out of it, and sleep for sometimes hours- when I wake up, it takes a while to feel like my head's not in a blender, but gradually get more aware of what's going on, and can understand more than what I can express. And I've got to pee bad. Speech comes back in stages, with yes/no or head movements, then increases; my gait is unsteady for a little while, but I've gotten used to that, and hang on to stuff- once I get to the point of being able to walk fairly well, it's over....

Closed Thread