It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
(female)

Jon7346 HB User
EEG- sharp waves

I had a 20 minute EEG done today. The doc said I had a few sharp waves...he said it could be artifact but wants me to do a 24 hr EEG. he also said I said some slow waves at the end.

Also if it was artifact wouldn't he just say it was that and leave it be?

Not sure what that means!!!

Help.

Last edited by Jon7346; 05-26-2006 at 01:45 PM.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: EEG- sharp waves

Artifact is tracings caused by movement, either by the machine, leads, or patient- and means that nothing is really going on. He's probably doing the 24-hr EEG to see if there are more episodes of the sharp waves, and to see if you have symptoms that correlate with them. That's how my sz disorder was finally confirmed...the 24 hour EEG- most 20 minute EEGs are fairly useless unless its done in the middle of a seizure. The longer the reading, the better the information.

I had slow sharp waves on the right, near the frontal and temporal areas....was finally a relief that it was documented, so I could get treated- and not blown off, like I had been before- the 24 hour ones aren't bad- a little goofy looking, but it's only a day. I actually went to work with the leads on and the little pack that records things (it's about the size of a tape recorder or walkman- not that bad).

Artifact shows up in a lot of things, and the only way to get better info is to do a longer reading- probably get the best stuff when you're either asleep, or just doing your normal activities, rather than lying on a bed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2006, 05:58 AM   #3

Ishy HB User
Re: EEG- sharp waves

I myself just returned from a 5 day stay in hospital...
the whole time I was under video and microphoned survelience and attached to an EEG machine.
Couldnt shower for the week, couldnt leave the room...
was very restrictive and drove me crazy.

Luckily on the last day a siezure was witnessed and recorded so now im on the surgery list to have my gangliowhateveritscalled removed which will hopefully stop my fits.
The bad news, they want more data so I have to go in for another week of the same in a months time.

Closed Thread