It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
(female)

CrazyDogLady HB User
Ringing in ears?

OK, the last time I had something I assumed was normal, I found out it wasn't and I was, in reality having an absence seizure. So I thought maybe this time, I'd ask..... I get a "ringing" in my ears - kind of like the high pitched tone from a hearing test. No big deal, just kind of background noise.... mildly irritating. But, occasionally, it just gets louder and louder and actually hurts! It gets so loud it actually feels like it's filling my head and my head might explode - I just want to scream! then "poof" it's gone and I'm fine... Has anyone else had this? Heard of it? Is it normal?
Lately, I've had a lot of neuro stuff going on. That's how it usually is. All is quiet and then there's a storm for a month or so.... migraines, auras, seizures.... so I'm not sure what's what, you know? Any input will be appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2006, 10:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User
Re: Ringing in ears?

I have that symptom, but I think mine is partially from (atleast in the right ear) a concert. The left ear I can't explain. I was seated right in front of a stack in a small facility and I ended up leaving the room about 4 times due to the volume level and where I was seated to try and prevent damage. Ever since I wore hearing protection at gigs.

The ringing is at the "presence" range, 14-16khz very minor, but constant. No idea if meds may account for any of the effects. The fact that I can still HEAR in the 16-17k zone tells me I don't have that much damage (the first range to drop is the high end).

I have noted a problem of wax build-up with Topamax in my list of meds. I have to go in every 6 months roughly to have my ears cleaned out. Originally before I was up to this dose it was every 12 on the lower dose of Topa. Before I was on Topa I never had to go in for the procedure.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
(female)

frickin HB User

The "ringing" I get in one ear is my guaranteed warning of an on-coming seizure. Hasn't failed me yet!

Old 07-18-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

Do you take a lot of aspirin?

Can be a simple partial seizure, aura for some for more to come.

I get ringing in my left ear now and then- don't know what it is...hasn't bugged me enough to ask about it when I see the doc.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:51 AM   #5
(female)

CrazyDogLady HB User

I've never had a problem with my ears. It's funny, I was talking to my mom last night and she asked me if I was taking a lot of aspirin (no, I take 8 million other meds, but not aspirin) I guess that can cause ringing in the ears? I initially said something at work about it and my co-worker looked at me like I had 3 heads! So, I thought I'd see if anyone here gets it. I'm wondering though, if too much aspirin can make your ears ring, if one of my meds is too high of a dosage and that can make my ears ring?
Then again, I've had a lot of neuro activity lately... I'd not heard that ringing in your ears could be a seizure or aura.... doesn't surprise me, though, there's some weird things that are really seizures!!!!
Frickin, when you get the ringing, does it get really intense, or is it just an irritating background ringing?

Old 07-19-2006, 09:16 AM   #6
(female)

frickin HB User

It's always in the right ear & loud enough to get my attention, but not excrutiatingly loud or painful. I don't do anacin & only do advil when needed, which isn't very often.

Old 07-19-2006, 01:48 PM   #7
(male)

jerrytom HB User

I've gotten ringing in my right ear a day before I have CPs for years. I never thought of them as auras but maybe they are. It's the only thing I can say is anywhere near constant before I have a seizure. It's nat all the time but quite frequently. Good luck. Jeff

Closed Thread