It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

zorm HB User
do seizures always show up on eegs

mine never do so i ahve to take sedatives to stop them i have partail complex symotns aswell as jerking movements and absense. please help

Old 11-03-2006, 04:36 AM   #2
(female)

aussie308 HB User
Re: do seizures always show up on eegs

I have had seiz for almost 5 yrs. bith PM and GM and I've had several EEGs both at times when I haven't had a seiz. for a while and also right after and have never had one show up on an EEG. So no they don't always show up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2006, 06:15 AM   #3
(male)

jerrytom HB User

Many times seizures don't show up on EEGs. There other tests that should be run and your doctor can order them. An MRI can show many abnormalities. I have temporal lobe epilepsy and my hipocampus, part of the temporal lobe, has a problem that even I can see. I'm just a dumby with epilepsy. Good luck with testing and trying to get some kind of diagnosis. Jeff

Old 11-03-2006, 06:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

Sometimes the area in the brain causing the seizures is too deep for the electrodes to pick up. Reading EEGs is highly subjective, and depends a lot on the experience and training of the doc reading them. An active seizure should cause abnormal EEGs if it's done at the time of the seizure. Also, after a seizure, there can be generalized slowing of the brain on EEGs, with non-specific areas identified as being the likely source of the seizures. The whole EEG is "slow". A normal EEG does not rule out epilepsy.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
(female)

LAP18 HB User

Hi Jeff, my daughetr was recently diagnosed with Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. She is 17 years old. when she was 7 or 8 years old, she told me that her tongue would "stiffen up" sometimes. I mentioned it to her pediatrician, who told me to ignore it and then he grabbed her tongue and in a cutesy way he told her " now remember tongues never get hard". So, I ignored it.

This year and the last 6 years (now she is 17) we have been in and out of psychiatric facilities, hospitals, therapy sessions and have been thru hell with her since Bipolar diagnosis. One morning (a couple of weeks ago) she told me that her tongue stiffens up on her. She didn't remember complaining about the same thing back when she was 8 years old. To make a long story short, after an EEG and an ambulatory EEG, she was diagnosed with TLE.

I did my research, and it seems that her Bipolar disorder may in fact be linked to her TLE. I know nothing about Epilepsy, I know a lot more of Bipiolar disorder. her Neurologist however told me that she was unaware of the correlation between the two but wouldn't be surprised since the Left side of your brain is responsible for your moods and behavior.

I guess my question is (or are) do you know anything about this? Also, my daughter only complains about her tongue "getting hard", are there other symptoms? Is she going to get worse? Can she live a seizure free life? The doctor wants her to take Lamictal (which Bipolar patients also take)

Thanks Jeff

Laura

Old 11-04-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User

It's always sad when docs don't believe kids....I was one of those, and didn't get diagnosed until I moved away, had a job and insurance, and was able to find my own neurologist to run the proper tests (that they had back then).

She may or may not be bipolar, but TLE causes a LOT of the same sorts of symptoms.

Closed Thread