It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2006, 06:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Surgery, anesthesia, seizures and dysautonomia

I've posted here before about falls after seizures (blood pressure usually drops). I've got arthritis, but after a fall last May following a seizure, I tore my right posterior meniscus- after months of pain, an MRI found that. Then the orthopedic surgeon I was sent to said that my knee was so bad that the meniscus tear was the least of my problems, and all he could do was put in a new knee- I saw the x-rays....yikes.

I'm a bit nervous about anesthesia, and the seizures and autonomic disorder. My blood pressure and breathing are not good after any of them- even without anesthesia, so hope all goes well. Of course, my regular doc and the ortho know about the sz and autonomic disorder, so will monitor things, but it always makes me nervous to be out of it, and not feel the usual warning signs.

Anyway, will be gone for a while- hoping things go as planned. It will be good to be rid of the constant pain. I know that post-op pain is to be expected, but at least that gets better.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:20 AM   #2
(female)

porterville HB User
Re: Surgery, anesthesia, seizures and dysautonomia

I have a severe case of epilepsy. I have fallen down two times that were serious. Those two times I broke my ribs. The doctor did a MRI right away to see if my spleen had been punctured. Thankfully, It had not.

I have had operations for other things and my doctors are more concerned about my seizurers. I have status epilepsy, clonic,tonic and petit mal. Add to this my Diabetes2. My doctor told me that they are a dangerous combination, They do not get along with each other. I am determined to treat both of them. You have to have a positive attitude.

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

neurowreck HB User
Re: Surgery, anesthesia, seizures and dysautonomia

I'm also a type 2 diabetic. The blood pressure, breathing, and heart rate problems are the main concern with anesthesia with me- the seizures are always a risk, and without anything going on, I have 5-7 a month (complex partials- day and nocturnal). My diabetes is in good control without medication after a 90 pound weight loss. That isn't a major issue at this time, fortunately. I've lived with the seizures since before they were diagnosed in 1986; the other things since 1995-1996....there are other medical issues as well.

I just hope that the autonomic disorder doesn't cause problems. I've had surgeries before (vein stripping and removal of scalp cysts- both several times) with general anesthesia.....ended up with a lot of blood loss both times; bone surgery is more extensive obviously, so I'm not sure what to expect. Guess I'll find out on Monday.

Closed Thread