It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
(female)

Love4leon HB User
Pregnancy while on keppra

I am 8 months pregnant and taking 2000 mg of Keppra daily. I really really need some help in deciding whether to breastfeed or not. My neurologist recommends not breastfeeding while on Keppra- and she doesn't think we should switch meds right now- because almost all seizure meds pose the same risk as they are passed through breast milk. So--a little about my history... I had my first gran mal seizure at age 17 (I am now 32) I was on Depakote for several years and after 7 years of seizure control- my neurologist chose to take me off all meds. By the way- I tend to have my seizures when I have my period--it was just very obvious.

So- I had 1 year off meds while taking birth control- the thought was that the birth control had actually controled my seizures by keeping my hormones more stable. I ended up loosing my health insurance and then had 4-5 additional gran mal seizures over 3 months. So- I went bak on medications and have been seizure free for another 6 years.

I am really leaning towards breastfeeding regardless- i think I could lower my dosage of Keppra or go off it altogether. Of course I am super afraid- I would hate to have any more seizures, but it means so much to me to just try breastfeeding for 1 year- if I could just make it one year I would definately go back on Keppra.

Any thoughts? Has anyone breastfeed while on medications? I just need help- so hopefully someone out there has had my experience. I am registered with the Keppra registry- so i am hopeful that the research starts helping others.

Thanks so much for the help and for reading my lengthy post!

-Rebecca

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2006, 04:22 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

cher1052 HB User
Re: Pregnancy while on keppra

That's your option-have you talked with not inly your neuro but your OB/GYN? Find out what you could pass onto your child in the brest feeding...Just a thought. Cher

Old 11-06-2006, 01:36 PM   #3
(female)

dragonprincess HB User

hi I have a heathy son who is know 18 months old and I am was on 800 mg of tegretal and 3000mgs of keppra and nursed my son and had no problomes but I think it's up to you and your doctor .but rember if your taking it now it's already in his system and the baby has adjusted to it an is fine. if you have any other qustions your in the right place. DRAGONPRINCESS...

Old 11-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #4
(female)

Love4leon HB User

Thanks so much! My OBGYN won't really talk about it at all- I just asked him today. He says the pediatrician will help me out with the decision- so we'll see. It really helps to hear that you had good success on Keppra and breastfed! That is fantastic- Had you registered with the Keppra Registry? Did you take Keppra throughout your pregnancy?

Old 11-07-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
(female)

dragonprincess HB User

Yes I was in the Keppra Registy and i also took my meds throuout my whole pregnecy with a ginetics docter for high rick pregnecy who did ultra sounds every month to keep an eye on the babys growth which was alittal large which they all told me it was going to be small becase of the Keppra just goes to show . good luck and I will keep cheacking the beards to help you through this .i also had no one and did so much worring.I'm glad I can ease your mind just alittal. support and love DragonPrincess

Old 11-22-2006, 09:22 AM   #6
(female)

Love4leon HB User

DragonPrincess-
My neurologist and OBGYN refuse to help me work it out so that I can breastfeed. They say it is too risky- I really don't know what to do! My neurologist won't help me to even switch meds- Do you have any suggestions? Anyone that could help me? Do you think the Keppra registry would help me out if I let them include me in the research for breastfeeding? I can't believe people won't help me out with this- I thought they would encourage me to breastfeed!
thanks so much for any help!

Old 11-25-2006, 07:50 AM   #7
(female)

dragonprincess HB User

yes i think that they would. the one that helped me was the my child's soon to be baby doctor. he told me that the meds were already in the babys system and he as in my son had adjusted to them already and if i were to not nures i would have the risk of loik a baby who was coming off kerppa and if i nursed he would only get alittal but not much and it leaves he's body faster than are's so not to do any harm to your child if you are that worried do both breast and bottel but once again what are you taking med wise?

Old 12-22-2006, 07:29 PM   #8
(female)

dragonprincess HB User

hi just checking to see how your doing with your baby you .have been in my prayers and will continue to be .so let me know how your doing ok hope allis well. DragonPrincess.

Closed Thread