It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2001, 06:37 AM   #1

Dilan-man HB User
Question Forgetfullness

Hi there special people !!
I have dealing with ep for many years and the one thing that is realy frustrating for me is my forgetfullness and I mean its bad like not being able to remember peoples names that ive known for years , having to cosentrate on my own phone number. I try to fake it when asked a question by some one but I feel they may think iam in another world , if they only knew the pain it can cause . Dose any one else run in to this or is it just me ???? Thanks for any input.

Old 05-04-2001, 08:22 PM   #2

Johnna HB User
Dilan-man,
No it certainly isn't just you. Memory problems are very common due to a seizure disorder. Especialy if the focal point is in the temporal lobe or the hipocampus. Mine came from both. I had a right temporal lobectomy in 1994. Unsucsessful unfortunately. My memory is very poor. Its even worse now due to the fact that they are now coming from the left. It is so bad sometimes that I forget how to spell. I forget what I might be saying in mid sentence. It is extremely frustrating! Don't feel like your alone. I carry a note pad in my pocket. It helps a lot when I remember to look at it. Best wishes to you. Johnna

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2001, 01:01 PM   #3

TXEngineer HB User
Angry

Man, I know EXACTLY how you feel!!! I have been having the same problems myself. I don't know if it is the drugs I take for my seizures or what (Topamax/Carbamazepine). It's unreal. I forget my own address, I have to look at my checkbook to see what it is. At times I don't know my own phone number. I am 30!! I feel like I am senile, I can so relate to my 90 year great grandmother with alzheimers. I am electrical engineer and have to play it off all the time with "you know what I mean..." "that so-so thing"..."I can't think of the name right now"....

What to do?

Old 06-12-2001, 07:16 PM   #4

alissa HB User
Lightbulb

Hi Dilan-Man,
I just wanted to say that I feel the same way too. Forgetful, I don't know why. Is it because of the meds. or something else? Well I'm glad that I'm not alone. I use to feel so alone and afraid a few years ago until I found this board. I'm so happy that their is some-body (the board) that we can talk to!!
P.S
Thanks for the message about the dilantin
I appreciate it. Alissa

------------------
ARH

Old 06-23-2001, 09:31 AM   #5

jbcondou HB User
Well, I don't know if running into you guys is a good thing or not :-). Our daughter, 15, had her first seizure 9 months ago and we are noticing interesting and different memory loss. We know it scares her when she realizes it and don't quite know how to cope with helping her through it. We see the doc next week and are hoping for some suggestions. I feel for all of you because unless you have "epilepsy" tatooed on your forhead, people just don't know and then think you're stupid when you can't pull up that "easy" piece of information. I went round and round AND round with her teacher who thought she could "do it" if she just tried harder! argh. And being 15 she doesn't want me getting involved because it embarrasses her. Have any of you researched the use of hyperbaric chambers for "healing" the damaged tissue? I would love to know more about that. -

Closed Thread