It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2001, 12:14 PM   #1
(female)

Krista2882 HB UserKrista2882 HB User
Post Questions

I had a grand mal seizure back in January, and I have been having problems with seizure activity since I was about 12 or 13...

I always wondered if it had something to do with hormones, and especially now I wonder because it gets worse around "that time of month".... anyway, i mnentioned that to my neurologist a couple of times, and he sort of ignored me. So I mentioned it to my guynecologist, and he put me on "The Pill" because that helps even out hormones.
anyway... we'll see if that helps!
has anyone else had hormone related seizure problems? What have you done that has helped?

Also, right now I'm taking Tegretol- 200 Mg 3 times a day. I still have days when i don't feel good (tremors and spasms and things like that), but my doctor doesn't want to make my dose any higher. I've already tried Dilantin, and something else that I don't remember the name of, and those didn't work at all.
What have you guys taken, so maybe I can ask my doctor about those to maybe try, and see if they work better?

Thanks everyone!

~Krista
)

Old 08-13-2001, 08:39 AM   #2

jbcondou HB User
Hi Krista - I'm including the URL for another E board. Recently there has been a lot of discussion on catamenial epilepsy, which is when seizure activity is related to your periods. [url="http://debra.dgrc.crc.ca/cgi-bin/epilepsy-board.cgi"]http://debra.dgrc.crc.ca/cgi-bin/epilepsy-board.cgi[/url]
There are a handful of women on this board who are trying different things. Also, in my very humble opinion, if you neuro dismissed your questions about seizures occuring in tune with your hormones, it is time to find a new doc. If you have good insurance, look for a teaching hospital (connected with a university) and look for an epileptologist. Here is a link that explains what the difference is: [url="http://my.*****.com/content/article/3197.357"]http://my.*****.com/content/article/3197.357[/url]
Good luck, Jamin?:-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2001, 07:16 AM   #3
(female)

Krista2882 HB UserKrista2882 HB User
Wink

Thanks a lot for the information!!

~Krista

Old 08-21-2001, 11:10 AM   #4

Ariel HB User
Hi Krista. I haven't had any seizures that seem to be related to my period however they did get worse when I was pregnant and for about 6 months afterwards. This is most likely due to hormones. Maybe you should think about seeing another doctor. It may help in the long run.

Old 10-16-2001, 09:59 PM   #5

mushu HB User
Hi~
I am doing a paper on epilepsy for my sociolgy class and I was just wondering if you would be willing to tell me a little bit about your life now that you have epilepsy? And how it has changed your life. Any information that you have would be great. thanks
Emily

Closed Thread