It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2001, 01:54 PM   #1

codey HB User
Question recovery from a grand mal.....

How long does it take for you to recover completely from a grand mal seizure?? When i have a seizure i get bad headaches afterwards and sometimes it takes me four or five days to recover completely. Is this long? is it about average?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2001, 06:35 PM   #2
Inactive

mckrim HB User
That seems like a long time. I would check back with your doctor. I worked in a seizure clinic for a while and the usual recovery time would be later in the same day - sometimes after "sleeping it off" so to speak. My daughter also has seizures - some are of the grand mal variety - and she is better by the morning if they occur at night - and usually better within an hour or two. That has been my experience at least. What does your doctor say?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2001, 08:00 PM   #3

pacemaker HB User
Hi Codey :
I am not a expert but my experience is that you
recover after about a hour or two If it's takening
you a day or two you need to talk to your Doc !
Hope this helps
Pacemaker

Old 12-12-2001, 12:17 PM   #4

Labs-R-4-Me HB User
I sleep it off myself. I can wake up and not be cohrent for awhile. One time I woke up pretty myuch ready to go, but later that day I had a second one and that put me in the bed for a couple of hours. I would be concerned if it took me more than a day and would go to my doc. Is there any chance you are having more in your sleep??

Old 01-15-2002, 11:00 PM   #5

kimber27 HB User
i have grand mal seizures in my sleep...what i was wondering is what do you mean by recovering? after a seizure i am able to be mobile and stand on my own after a good sleep about 4-5 hours, but as far as full recovery i am usually really tired and out of it for about a week.

kimber

Old 01-30-2002, 10:36 AM   #6
(male)

Phantom_309 HB User
I usually have a major headache for the rest of the day and my muscles are really sore for 1-5 days. My tongue takes the biggest beating and takes the longest to heal, sometimes 30 days.

I have only had two grand mal seizures and I really bite down on my tongue so I hope I don't have them anymore. I refused to take meds between the first two seizures because I am newly diagnosed and I thought I might have had a single episode. This is because I had just quit taking Paxil after nearly 4 months and was having weird withdrawl side effects from it. Sometimes I still wonder about the Paxil.

The second grand mal I had wasn't nearly as bad as the first (even though I was on no meds) and I wasn't really sore at all with the exception of my tongue.

I fear if I have too many more seizures, I'm going to bite off my tongue or severe it badly. I am on 400mg Dilantin daily now since my second seizure and I have gone 245 days since my last seizure. The first two were 233 days apart so maybe I'm doing better. Time will tell.

God bless....

Closed Thread