It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2006, 07:09 AM   #1
(female)

mandy. HB User
Post migralepsy? anyone heard of it?

Has any one heard of migralepsy I've had serious migraines for 16yrs now and my doc has now said I might have migralepsy he said its a form of epilepsy in the form of a migraine? I'm not sure if it is it until I get results back but was just wondering if anyone on here has heard of it or suffers from it? and can give me some info please my son has epilepsy and they say it runs in family I dont see my doc till next week and would like to know what it is as its doing my head in not knowing I should of asked him when I was there but I was a bit dumb struck Thanks Mandy

Old 11-27-2006, 08:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: migralepsy? anyone heard of it?

I'm not sure I've ever heard of that... I know that a lot of this neurology stuff is overlapping, though.

For example: I have simple partial seizures, which manifest as odd sensations, seeing things, etc. Since that's where they stop, they are called simple partial seizures. If I started off with those odd sensations, then went on to have a tonic-clonic seizure, those initial sensations would be called an aura.

Migraine auras, seizure auras, and simple partial seizures are all very similar, if not the same thing entirely. To complicate things more, people with migraines can have the aura without the pain, and it's still called a migraine. When I was getting diagnosed, there was a question of whether I was having migraine auras without pain or if they were seizures. I actually got to watch the young intern and the old neuro duke it out in front of me (well, it was more like he was discussing exactly why her diagnosis of migraine auras was wrong, but still interesting). He concluded that they are seizures for a few reasons. 1) When I have migraines, I never have auras, so it would be really odd for me to get the pain without the aura, and then at separate times to get the aura without the pain. 2) An abnormal eeg. 3) The thing that finally got me in to a neurologist after 10 years of having these weird sensations was that I had one that went from a simple partial into most likely a complex partial, and actually blacked out for a few seconds, which is not characteristic of migraine auras.

Anyway, I guess my point is that there's a whole lot of stuff that is open for interpretation and seems to be a bit of a gray area. There's a lot they don't know about the brain! And there can be links between migraines and seizures.

What tests did you have done that you are waiting for results on? Let us know how it all comes out. Also, it might be helpful to write down a list of questions to take to the doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2006, 05:21 AM   #3
(female)

mandy. HB User

I've had a eeg and a ecg and am awaiting a ct scan i'm currently on 200mg of topamax and they are helping at the moment I will let you know when they actually tell me for certain what the results fetch back.

Old 12-24-2006, 07:16 AM   #4
(female)

CoffyDrinker711 HB User

Hello:

Sounds like what I have been going through for years! Horrible migrainous headaches, those "weird sensations" so perfectly described, and wooziness, dizziness.

Now three years later and 1200 mg of Tegretol/day my headaches are pretty much gone. However, I do have occasionally what I call "breakthrough" weird ness which worries me and my neuro guy.

All in all, life with partial seizures is almost normal and I am very aware and careful with any kind of auras and or "creepiness" that my brain decides to put me through...

"Migralepsy"? Sounds like a reasonable concept but it could be your headaches are really epilepsy.

Good luck to you.

Old 12-24-2006, 09:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Topamax is also approved for migraine treatment alone. I have a friend that was changed from the hard drugs that knock you out, to Topamax for her headaches. It works great for her. She has no seizures or seizure history, or neurological problems other than the migraines that had been a problem since school.

I said this on another thread in here, and I will say it again. Epilepsy is a "blanket" term quite litterally. There is no gene to diagnose seizures in brain injure cases that cause seizures; or seizures that are caused by reaction to injections, or other causes of onset. There MAY BE 1% or less that can be contributed to inherited.

Headaches following seizures I have had frequently in the past (eyes became sensitive). not to mention when given massive medications at the hospital they do a number on our senses.

--Travis

Closed Thread