It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2002, 11:00 PM   #1
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Post auralike seizures

Hi Guys,

I had two of these tonight auralike seizures where you kinda get dizzy and it makes everything from your neck up to the top of your head hurt .. and your awake and aware but feel distanced from yourself.. hard to explain anyone have these?

Koko

Old 05-10-2002, 08:51 PM   #2

natasiatarot HB User
the first thing that made me read this is your title. I had been wondering what they were and now i think that is what i've been having this whole week. The whole thing is really confusing really, but it always has been. I've been having seizures since i was 5 and just in the past 3 years i have been able to know when they were coming and remeber what was happening. I wish i couldnt but nothing will change.
i have one question though. When you have these seizures "aura" or whatever they are called, Do you shake? not like your whole body but your hands? I do and i want to know if any1 else does.
i hope things get better

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2002, 09:12 PM   #3
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hi Hon

thanks for responding... no I don't shake but I exhaust myself from the weird feeling I have and usually sleep about 10 minutes after. These are probably called partials I really don't know and if I am wrong someone please correct me. I think they are pretty freaky and can be brought on by my own mind just going into deep thought....

Hugs
Koko

Old 05-10-2002, 09:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
Koko.....I have the every month just after my period. Is yours any where near? This could be the cause of them. Just a thought though! I hope it helps! Kim

Old 05-10-2002, 09:38 PM   #5
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
come to think of it yes actually more like right before within the week....

Hugs
Koko

Old 05-10-2002, 09:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
ahhhh ah! I know that does not help much...but at least now maybe you know why! Hopefully after your hormones level out then they will stop! Mine allways do & it seems that it takes about 2 days of them & then they are gone!
Hang in there!
Kim

Old 05-10-2002, 09:49 PM   #7
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
but I have had those aura's for about a year... when do your harmones settle? LOL ok ok maybe when I am old and grey and no longer have a period? infact maybe my seizures will stop all together? god only knows we find out new stuff every day

Hugs hon
Koko

Old 05-10-2002, 10:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
With our luck our hormones will get stuck in a rage once we hit menopause! LOL http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/blob_fire.gif
Well...i do not know for sure if that is what it is but i can count on it every month 2 days after my period & it usually lasts for about 2 days. I also read what Beths mom said. It was that she allways has a seizure on the 1st day of her period (i think). So maybe this is right who knows! I have given up on the Dr.s & turned to you guys! LOL You seem to know more & care more so what the He@@!
Big hugs to you Koko! I hope you are doin better!
Kim

Old 05-10-2002, 10:11 PM   #9
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
We all know our own bodies to a T pretty much if theres something we don't really understand probably should bring it up with the ol doc wish they had more answers for us... but heres this ksavage .. I was 10 when I started my period and I was 14 when I had the first grand-mal but my teachers called me a day dreamer in school (these were petit-mals) this all started after I started my period. I should go have a histdirectomy and see if the seizures stop LOL just kidding but makes you wonder huh? btw they didn't know what petit-mals were back then and thats why I went for so long....

Hugs
Koko

Old 05-10-2002, 10:41 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
You just told my storie Koko! I was all the time in trouble for being lazy & daydreaming all the time. My parents said they just got used to it & ignored it. I all the time was breaking dishes & well.....just about anything all the time. I stayed in trouble for crap like that. I was the clumsy one of the family they would allways tell people! When I was diagnosed I told them that they should feel bad for saying all of those things & never finding out if there was a problem. They just deny ever even noticing anything & say they never said thosde things.
You go first with the hysterectomy & let me know if it works for ya & if so I will follow!

Old 05-11-2002, 01:49 AM   #11
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
we are too much alike ksavage scarey huh LOL .... well our experiences with epilepsy... personally I think its pretty neat because for so many years I didn't know any epileptics I was like allways the oddball except for one guy who had them but he drank with his meds etc.... and ended up with god so I have allways been real weird with the drink and meds I have never done it... I don't like alcahol at all so it's a blessing to me. Anyway LOL I am noticing I won't stop talking tonight LOL I am hoping to find some info for beths mom going to go surf the internet a bit hugs to you hon

Koko

Old 05-11-2002, 11:48 AM   #12

Beth's Mom HB User
Wink

KoKo and Kim,
Reading what you two have written on the topic of seizures near your monthly periods reminds me of the first time I saw the ad on tv where women were saying they wanted more research done on the connection between seizures and their menstrual cycles...I literally screamed "Yes!" at the tv I was so glad there were others out there having the same experience to make us feel a little less crazy...and now I can see you doing this for each other. Unfortunately, Beth had her grandmal seizures before she started having her monthly cycle (age 16).She started at the same time we put her on Felbatol so we didn't know if it was the time she would have started or the medicine that triggered it. Most of the time her seizures are on the last day of her monthly...she started hers today, so we will be watching for them by midweek.
I just read a study was conducted at Northwestern University by a Catherine Woolly that was published in a medical journal concerning the connection between estrogen levels and seizures. They found that estrogen introduced into experiments with mice that had misfiring of electrodes increased the chances of seizures happening as the misfire went to more than one cell...but they cautioned that although estrogen levels can increase seizures happening, estrogen does not cause seizures where a condition did not already exist. Sadly, more research is based with males than females and we need to put pressure on the pharmacutical companies and universities to do more research in that area.---When estrogen goes low at menopause I am thinking we will not want to do estrogen replacement with Beth!
It saddens me to think of what you both went through in your younger years. People are so much more savvy today as to what seizures are, thank God. I trust our doctors but feel they are only as good as the information we are feeding into them. At her most critical time (1994)I was actually charting all of Beth's schedule...eating, sleeping, food, meds, bathroom, and everything to see what cycles were repeating themselves....that I believe has surved us best in getting the right levels of medication. Our school schedule is very restrictive for her though. We are in bed by 9 and up at 5 every morning. In the summers at the cottage she goes to bed at 10 and gets up at 9 and seems so much happier. My husband and I are withing about 5 years of retiring from teaching. Each year I wonder how much longer we can keep up with Beth's needs and still do our job. We have to take days off when she has seizures and we try to each do every other time, but it still mounts to many sick days during the year and we worry about losing our jobs.
Many on this board have mentioned having lost jobs due to seizures. I hope all of you have checked into the social security system for benefits. Beth has never qualified due to finances above their max but you may and should be entitled to recieve it.
Want to keep in touch with all of you through this board...keep talking...WE WILL FIND ANSWERS through networking we are bound to stumble onto things.
Beth's Mom

Closed Thread