It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2002, 12:24 PM   #1

Joshua HB User
Unhappy Seizure during sleep

Do any of you have seizures during your sleep? Meaning when you wake up you feel a little light headed with a headache and notice that you have bit your toungue and or lip? This happens to me when I have a seizure...I guess it is better than having them during the day? But GOSH DARNIT I just want them to STOP ALL TOGETHER! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Old 05-10-2002, 05:01 PM   #2
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hi Josh,

I have seizures at any time I usually receive no warnings for grand-mals etc.. the aura seizures I do get a warning..I also call those awake seizures.. but with my grand-mals I do have them in my sleep if I have had a very stressfull day. I know you wish they could go away completely hon but if they don't I stress to you to just enjoy your life ok and meet goals etc...I have done so many neat things (except I cannot drive) I have them worse then alot of people although they are getting much better If you need to talk please allways come here and talk to the different people on this forum ask those questions they are so supportive.

Hugs
Koko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2002, 08:11 PM   #3

natasiatarot HB User
hi there!
i am having what they call break through seizures. I dont usually have them though. I have just been having them this week. Its kinda scary. Well the other night, tuesday i think, i woke up late at night and had no reason to. You know when in the movies you see those people wake up from a bad dream and they scream and sit up all fast? Well thats kinda what happened. I didnt even think of the fact that i had bit my lip. Well for a while i was freaking and didnt know why. Can you possibly help me and explain what happens to you. I just want to know if i had one in my sleep or not.

Old 05-10-2002, 11:56 PM   #4
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hi Natasia,

You could have had a seizure but it does sound like you had a bad dream and you were not quite asleep yet. Which is what kinda gave the aura feeling..I could very well be wrong, have you been having these nightly now? I know I have had those type of dreams and they are pretty scarey to say the least. There are four cycles our body goes through during our eith hour sleep period that we are supposed to get and alot of times we are interupted causing the mind to not finish it's cycle.. I understand the last cycle is one of the most important parts... but theres a point where we have our dreams and you know where our eyes tend to move back and fourth while asleep this is The most important cycle as it allows the brain to recoup so to say. Epileptics don't allways get to that depth of sleep from what I have been told but maybe it's something we need to look into and learn.

Hugs
Koko

[This message has been edited by Kokopelli (edited 05-11-2002).]

Old 05-12-2002, 12:05 PM   #5

pacemaker HB User
Lightbulb

Hello to all:
I awoke from a sound sleep with 2 broken arms at my
shoulder joint due to a Grand-mal seizure. I am currently still taking seizure meds. I don't know
what caused neither does my Neuro Doc. I am a P.O.
and still able to work I hope my seizures will not return but who knows ???????
Peace to all
Pacemaker

Old 05-12-2002, 09:35 PM   #6

ginsumo HB User
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joshua:
[B]Do any of you have seizures during your sleep?

Joshua -- I have been having seizures for about 9 years and I have never had one when I was awake. At first, I would wake up with an awful headache and my tongue chewed up and have no idea what had happened to me. After a while, I started to wake up right before or during my seizure. But they only start when I'm sleeping. It's pretty weird, huh???

Old 05-13-2002, 02:49 PM   #7

rsorrentini HB User
Cool

I can understand about having them while you sleep, my son has Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome, so he gets most of the big seizures while he is asleep, he can go from a grand-mal to a myclonic to a clonic back to a grand-mal, he has broken his ankle, bitten his lip, his tongue, he usually stops breathing on us, so we have to give him oxygen.
But I found something, I guess this is a good thing to have if you live with someone, you buy it at
Babies R'Us it costs $89.00 and it is a special type of montior, if you stop breathing, or stop moving it will go off louder and louder. Best of luck.

Closed Thread