It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2002, 04:04 PM   #1

dianecos HB User
Post seizure diet?(ketogenic)

Does anyonr know anything about a diet to control seizures?possible called the ketogenic* diet-saw it on tv-no meds-just cetain foods and certain amounts-Please reply -any info would be SO appreciated!Thanks!(mother of child on Teg-not working)

Old 05-13-2002, 09:45 PM   #2
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hi Diane

Welcome to healthboards hon...

I may be a bit funny about this only because they have never been able to control me with just a strict diet.. I know one thing no chocolate (or atleast rarely) as well with sodapops and even caffeine from coffee and coco is not good for someone with seizures.. This diet you are talking about though if you find some more info please post it as I would be interested in reading..

Hugs
Koko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2002, 06:46 AM   #3

dianecos HB User
Thanks-still looking!

Old 05-19-2002, 11:31 AM   #4
Zafu

Hi Diane,

Check this link out....
[url="http://www.mynchen.demon.co.uk/The%20ketogenic%20diet/index.htm#The.ketogenic%20diet"]http://www.mynchen.demon.co.uk/The%20ketogenic%20diet/index.htm#The.ketogenic%20diet[/url]

Best wishes

Zafu http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/clown.gif

Old 05-19-2002, 12:00 PM   #5

Beth's Mom HB User
Dianecos,
My older brother brought me the video on the ketogenic diet, originating at Johns Hopkins in Maryland. I'm not sure he believed me when I told him I had already checked with our neurologist who told me Beth would not be a good candidate for the diet as she was a picky eater.
When you go on the diet your child has to go off all meds and is given a very high fat diet. Everything is measured and very strict. If your son knows the importance of staying within the regimine he might be a candidate.
An alternative to this might be one of the diets that are used to change the nutrition of your son (something I am looking into for our daughter) that are listed on autism.com...our daughter has brain-damage and seizures and sometimes seems remote like an autistic child, though she has never been diagnosed as such...
Wish you luck in finding something that works and keep with the message board with any more questions, comments or positive results.
Marilyn

Old 05-20-2002, 12:32 PM   #6

jennygirl405 HB User
Thumbs up

I think that I know what you are talking about. Its called Dr. Atkins Diet: New Revolution or somthing to that effect. I was on it and it works wonders with weight loss ( I lost 80 lbs) but I'm not too sure about what it does for seizures. I have had seizures from ages 4 to 14 yrs old and when I finally quite having them was about the time that the Dr put me on this diet because I was too heavy for my age. I'm not sure if this diet is reasonable for this since I was switching medications around the same time but who knows? They have a couple books on it or you can look it up on the internet. Hope I helped. If you have anymore questions, please email me and let me know

Old 05-20-2002, 07:16 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Lisa T HB User
I used google and foumd alot of web pages. Some didn't tell me much and others were over flowing with info. Just type in ketogenic diet and then hit google search. Did your doctor sugest this? I was just wondering because mine has never said a word about what not to eat. I had no idea about chocolate and soda, is there anything else that should be a no-no?

Good luck and let me know if you go this route!!!!

Closed Thread