It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2002, 04:28 AM   #1
Inactive

shirlgirl HB User
Unhappy seizure(how disappointing)

hi guys,

i am so gutted did i not go and have a seizure on sunday teatime,the bit is i drive and thats gonna be taken away from me for 1 year at least.after being free for 2 years to.i am gobsmacked and can't believe it i am on such a low ebb. Never had no warning either that was the bit.
Now i feel my independence has gone once and for all this time.I can't stop crying and with doing so well to, neve had a seizure for as long!
Can't imagine what broughtit on!
Just can't believe it!
shirleyx

Old 05-21-2002, 11:31 AM   #2

jennygirl405 HB User
Unhappy

I understand your feeling bad about this happening. I have had grand mal siezures from ages 4 to 14 and I thought if they didn't stop then I would never be allowed to drive. My mother was so protective of me and still is to this day. Well when I was 14 I started taking Phelbatol (which is now off the market)and it seemed to take away all the seizures and I was so happy. I had lost all the weight thst I had gained due to other medicine and I felt like a new person. Things went good until I went to see an allergy dr (I never was allowed to take allergy medicine due to seizures) but now I could, great idea right? WRONG!!
After informing the allergist that I had a history of seizures, he put me a couple of medications and that was when disaster started. About a month later, I started having tiny seizures(petite mal seizures). I wasn't sure what they were at first, it was like my head knods back a couple of times and I lose concentration for a split second and then everything is back to normal. I was so worried but the dr told me that if they didn't bother me then I wouldn't have to go back on the meds. Well, I am 21 now and still have them, they are more embarrassing than painful.
I really know how bad you are feeling now but who knows, maybe the lord will bless you and you won't have another one. I really hope that everything goes well and please don't let this get you down. Sometimes there is nothing you can do but except what God has handed you and do your best with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2002, 12:01 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi,
I am so sorry to hear about your recent seizure and the depression it has caused. The only thing I can do to help is to pray for you, and I shall. Keep your chin up, and try to find some positive in all of this. I will be thinking about you. Kathy

Old 05-21-2002, 05:54 PM   #4

Beth's Mom HB User
Jennygirl 405 and others,
Jenn...I hope I don't treat you as the missing link, but I have been desperate to find someone who is able to tell me what they experienced on Felbatol...our 23 yr. old daughter is still on it after 8 yrs. but because she has brain damage is not able to verbalize what she feels. She is having seizures once a week now, especially at the end of monthlies and for some reason on the weekends or mid week when she is more tired. I am guessing you are no longer on Felbatol? It was a horrible thing to put her on as the side effects hit her hard (she lost over 100 lb. in under 3 mo. and is a beautiful girl). Are you on no meds now, other than allergy meds, or not on those either? Can you describle these light jerking motions a little more...when do they usually happen and how often.
Wish you and the scottish lass a future of new discoveries for helping seizures. Kathy, my heart is always with you.
Marilyn

Old 05-23-2002, 12:07 AM   #5

Kimba523 HB User
Beth's Mom,
I noticed you mentioned that your daughter is 23 and has seizures mostly around her monthly? That is the reason why I wasn't diagnosed for my first 6 years of complex partial episodes (doc claimed I had hormonal imbalance). I kept a journal however, that showed 70% of my seizures were around my monthly. After I was finally diagnosed, I showed this journal and my "finding" to my neuro. Catamenial seizures or "seizures during menses." After this discussion my neuro referred me to the OB-GYN for a medicinally-required (meaning insurance MUST pay)Depoprovera shot (eliminates menses). No longer having my monthly, the Depo shot reduced my seizures from appr. 25-30/month to appr. 7-10/month. Discuss it with your daughter. If she's not attempting to have a child currently, perhaps she would consider it. OF COURSE...discuss it with your neuro as I'M not one.
Kimba

Old 05-23-2002, 12:10 AM   #6

Kimba523 HB User
Beth's Mom...I must apologize for the latter end of my last post. I told you to "discuss it with your daughter." You clearly stated in your post that she is unable to communicate. That was positively insensitive of me. Please forgive me.

Closed Thread