It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2002, 03:08 AM   #1
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Post need some suggestions

I been having alot of seizures lately and it's been getting real depressing ..I am wondering if I need to change meds or something .. If I did this what would you guys suggest? medication wyse? I can't take depakote or felbatol.. maybe I should take something on top of my mysoline I am really tired of all this though and getting frustrated...

hugs
koko

Old 05-20-2002, 11:53 AM   #2
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
Smile

Hello Koko!

I really wish I had some great advice for you. I'm still quite new to all of this and am trying to figure it out for myself.

Just wanted to say that I hope you feel better soon and that I'm thinking of you!!

(((BIG HUGS)))

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Nic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2002, 12:31 PM   #3
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Thanks nicola,

I been doing some reading on the american epilepsy society website... I have found a few new meds (scarey) that work in conjuction with the mysoline .. but you know how scarey it can be to even start a new medication... but I am just getting to the point where I have no choice.. I am starting to wonder if it's just all the stress... no job, my brother plays a big part too he has alot of problems and being alone with him just is not my cup of tea .. don't get me wrong I love him dearly but he just makes me a wreck.
anyway how are you doing? hopefully no more seizures

Hugs
Koko

Old 05-20-2002, 01:15 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi Koko,
I can't remember if you ever mentioned Tegratol in your old posts, but I am on it and seem to be having minor side effects (I HATED Dilantin) and I haven't had a seizure since the end of January. I still have memory problems, and a little mental confusion, but I don't know how much can be attributed to meds, and how much is just from being a blonde menopausal lady! Good luck, and feel better. Kathy

Old 05-20-2002, 04:23 PM   #5

Beth's Mom HB User
Hello All...
I can chime in on the menopausal stuff , Kathy, hot flashes and all.
KoKo...I only know Depakote, Felbatol and Neurontin as an add on....others know more about meds.
But...if your brother stresses you the way my husband stresses me, I go after him all the time to stop the harassment...he is normally funny but cannot live with his negative comments. I avoid the evening news. Even turn off movies or tv shows if they are too depressing. I am focused on finding the best world I can to keep my mood up...won't even allow myself the luxury of a darkened bedroom as have had plenty of experience with wallowing in depression..maybe you are letting yourself be drained by all the negative energy surrounding you. Money is a tough one, but I have found that when I am the brokest I pay what I can and put the rest of the bills in a shoe box. Getting enough sleep is essential to your being able to handle the seizure activity and eating well...are you doing ok there? Sad to hear you down as you are such a go getter, but we all have down times. It is pulling yourself out of the hole that counts. Do you have faith in God or something else that keeps you going?
Hang in there.Will pray for better days for you.
Marilyn

Old 05-21-2002, 03:58 AM   #6
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
Hello Koko,

I think I'm doing alright. Last night I took my first dose of Tegretol and was quite nervous so I know exactly what you're saying about starting a new med. Very nerve-wracking at times!

The doc has me taking 200mg of Tegretol before bedtime (its a slow-release tablet). Because its such a small dose he says I shouldn't have any bad side effects. Do you agree with that?

I'm having my blood drawn in two weeks to check my levels so I'll be anxious to see those results.

You take care Koko! Hope you feel better soon!

(((HUGS)))

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Nic

Old 05-21-2002, 11:54 AM   #7
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Talking

Hi koko,
Sorry to hear you are not doing too well.you sound to me like you could do with a break,so you can chill out for a while,that's what I feel like doing sometimes.I find when I get stressed that's when I am feeling vulnerable and at a low ebb,all sorts of wierd things happen.I don't work either and I feel like every day Is the same,and sometimes I need some space.I don't know what to say about your medication,eccept maybe talk to your doc,there are plenty of different types of drug,but they generally are in categories of siezure type.My doc told me to try to avoid stressful situations lol,they haven't a clue!! have they.Anyway you look after yourself you hear?.
garry

Old 05-22-2002, 11:52 PM   #8

Kimba523 HB User
Koko, please forgive me if I repeat things others have already said as I'm a *newbie*. I've only been coping with my epilepsy being diagnosed for 5 years now (6 years pre-diagnosed)but, I've been through several med changes. I tell you, it may be stressful and scary but, the chance of no more seizures is soo much better than the chances of unexpected breakthroughs. As long as your very careful when weaning yourself off your current and/or careful when up-ing a new/add-on med your only problem is the expected side effects. Of all the meds I've tried, the ones with the fewest side effects <FOR ME> are Topomax and Lamictal. Hop I helped. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/redface.gif)
Kimba

Old 05-23-2002, 12:12 AM   #9
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Thanks Kimba,

And welcome to healthboards hon.. yeah I have had seizures since the age 14 and am now 38 so it's definantly a part of my life.. I really hate changing meds as I hate being and feeling drugged up. The lamictal I will have to look into..thanks hon for the advice

Hugs
Koko

Closed Thread