It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2002, 11:56 AM   #1

clouconst HB User
Question Aggressive Behavior ? Lamitical

My 13 year old son for about a week now has been cutting back on Lamitical. He was on 550 mg. but now is on 450 mg. He also takes 2500 mg. of Keppra. He has TLE. Its retractable? His Neuro evenually wants him off of Lamitical and is going to try Topomax.
Anyway the problem is that in the last 2 days he's becoming aggressive. He is small (only 95 lbs. ) and very passive. He is talking back to his teachers and has actually hit another kid. It's very unlike him. Do you think the meds have something to do with it or is this typical teenage stuff? i'm waiting to hear back from his Neuro now. I would appreciate any comments.
Thanks

Old 05-21-2002, 02:35 PM   #2

PatM HB User
Question

has his doctor started him on topomax yet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2002, 06:04 PM   #3

Beth's Mom HB User
Clouconst,
I am a junior high school teacher (24th yr. of teaching) and a mother of a 23 YR.old girl with seizures.

My first guess would be the behavior of a normal teen...I tell my female students no wonder they date older guys as it takes these boys so long to get through the maturing process! The boys are very physical with each other .

But, lowering a med can also make a boy more grouchy.

Consider a third possibility and that is that the life of a student in their early teens tends to be busier than in elementary school, so maybe he is also adjusting to his class schedule and after school actiivities(?). Is he getting as much sleep as he needs? Meals ok, or hit and run. I'm with the kids on school lunches...yuk stuff!

Wish you well. Life is full of adjustments even with what is called "normal" teens today.
God Bless.
Marilyn

Old 05-22-2002, 06:58 AM   #4

clouconst HB User
No, he hasn't been started on Topamax yet? His Neuro said to drop his lamitical today by another 100mg. If the seizures get worse to up his Keppra.

Old 05-22-2002, 04:19 PM   #5
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Talking

hi,
I have t.l.e, and also am on lamictal,but In my case,I have alway's got aggressive,even before I took meds.I am not saying It must be the same with your son,maybe It Is his meds,my doc has told me that people with t.l.e, can be aggressive.
garry

Old 05-22-2002, 09:42 PM   #6

Piano HB User
Hi, I've never been on Lamitical, but when I was on Topamax I got pretty aggressive. I even talked back to my boss, which is something I never do. Good luck!

Piano

Old 05-23-2002, 01:05 AM   #7

Kimba523 HB User
Clouconst,
I took high doses of Lamictal for a year and then was lowered to 200mg while being started on Topomax. I experienced no aggression. I agree with Beth's Mom as teen angst is a zinger. Also, your son may be quite frustrated with the fact that he is going through his current medical condition and feels a bit "different" from his fellow peers. The onset of my seizures began in high school. I felt alone because I had no schoolmates "like me" and THAT caused bottled up frustration. After a few months of nowhere to release the feelings, they came out purely unintentionally and with great regret.

Closed Thread