It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2002, 09:50 PM   #1

Piano HB User
Thumbs down AAAAAAHHHHHH Crap.

Hi, guys. Had a first-time experience yesterday:seizure at work. I was in the bathroom, but someone walked in on me. Also another fist-time experience: my hands and feet went numb & tingly. I've never had a seizure remotely like this before. I (think) I was aware the whole time, and it was so strange feeling. Pretty sure it's not my "normal" kind. Anyway, just feeling kinda crappy about it and wanted to tell you about it.

Piano

Old 05-22-2002, 11:37 PM   #2
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
thats like one of those deja -vu's piano weird huh theres like an aura? and your awake and watching whats going on but your not there.. I prefer those over the grand-mals to be honest seems lately I been really tearing myself up with the grand-mals.. I remember my first experience at work hon it was frightning as when I came to the train was sitting there I guess they had pulled off the white line and the train had to stop that was embarrasing girl but they did the best thing they could do and that was pick me up and carry me on the train that day .. imagine if I went home? I probably would have never gone back. but I lived and I don't care what others think if I want to do something I am going to do it .. You need to be just like that Piano never worry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2002, 01:15 AM   #3

Kimba523 HB User
Piano, Hi. I'm a *newbie* Your work-seizure experience sounds like my complex partials. I have those alot when I forget my meds. I always end up in the bathroom whether I'm at home, work, or out to dinner. I guess I subconsciously consider the bathroom a "safe haven" for it's usually empty. They seem to part more quickly if noone is around because that's one less thing my brain has trying to register.

Old 05-23-2002, 06:08 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Lisa T HB User
I'm right there with you. I was really scared at work. Most everyone has been pretty cool about it though, always have a jerk though. I actually had one person tell me they wish they would of been there so they could of seen what I do when I have a seizure. I simply told them they needed to get a life and walked away! What an idiot. Everyone else just asked me what they should do if they see me go into one. I'm still having a little of the embarrassment problem. I know I can't control it, but still......

I was also in the bathroom. How come we all feel so secure there?? How have they been treating you since then?

Take care guys!!!!
Lisa

Old 05-23-2002, 07:52 PM   #5

Beth's Mom HB User
Piano -So sorry you had one at work...didn't you say you just started on a new med?

Lisa T.- I am always grateful when people ask about Beth and her seizures and even don't mind if they see her have one because I want them to know what horrific things they are for people to have in their lives...you never know when someone will decide to step in and help the next time they see someone having one, go into a research or medical career, or at the very least donate money toward epilepsy research.

Sometimes in my own weird way I liken them to seeing aliens from outer space...if you have never been around them you tend to not believe in their existence.(No, I have never had an encounter!). It was a long time before my family ever saw Beth have a seizure, since they live a state away.---They were saddened to see what she goes through but have more compassion and understanding for us when we can't join them. They also try to give me any info they might hear about research, etc.

Then again, this fellow employee who mentioned he was sorry he missed seeing the seizure could have been a total loser...and I am not the one having seizures so I should not dare to speak for you and your feelings.

KoKo...sounds like you got your Groov back, girl!

Marilyn

Old 05-23-2002, 07:57 PM   #6
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Why did I have to be in public? why is koko different no she had to be in front of everyone LOL...

hugs
Koko

Old 05-23-2002, 09:18 PM   #7

Piano HB User
You know, I never thought of it before, but the bathroom really is kinda my safe haven at work. How strange! Maybe that's because when I was sick as a child my mom always took me to the bathroom. Toilets for puking, washcloths and water for fevers. Interesting point, Kimba.

Marilyn, I just started on Dilantin about 2 months ago. Think I'm gonna have my neuro take me off, tho. For one, I love my teeth. For two, it makes me depressed. For three, it doesn't seem to be helping. Well, three strikes and you're out, baby!

Piano

Old 05-23-2002, 09:50 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi Piano,
So sorry to hear that you are having a rough time. My prayers are with you. The bathroom does seem to become a haven doesn't it? Before I go anywhere, I run to the bathroom first. My kids often joke and say that my last words on this earth will be, "I hafta pee!" I attribute it to nervousness. When I was a child, my father had this wonderful (NOT!!!) mode of discipline. He would make us pull down our pants and lay on his lap to receive a "paddling", using the wooden paddles from the paddle ball games with a rubber ball attached with elastic. During these beatings, I peed on his lap one too many times, which would infuriate him even more than whatever caused the paddling in the first place. So, he began to send me to the bathroom prior to subsequent paddlings. I'd sit and sit, trying desperately to pee, but usually couldn't. Eventually I'd go back to face my paddling, all the time praying that I wouldn't pee during the punishment. To this day, whenever I'm nervous I'll have to pee. Now, I am always nervous that I'll pee during a seizure, so I try to go as often as possible! Ahhhh....the pleasantries of childhood nightmares!
I hope you find relief from switching meds. I also hope that your insensitive co-worker has thought about how rude he/she was! There is no room in this world for insensitivity! Pamper yourself for the next few days. It sounds like you need it. I'll be thinking about you. Hugs, Kathy

Old 05-24-2002, 01:00 PM   #9

Kimba523 HB User
Cool

I guess the bathroom became my haven because the first time I experienced a seizure without humiliation was in the high school bathroom. The well-known "stoner" saw me have it. It was a complex partial yet, when it was all over she just said, "Whoa, you need some of this man, it helps." and tried to pass me a joint. No judgements, no back-peddling with a horrific look, and best of all...a rumor never got passed around that I "tripped" out in the bathroom. Ever since then the last thing I remember when I come out of a seizure is telling someone I have to go to the bathroom. It's become my code phrase. Family and friends will immediately turn and ask if I'm alright. I have to reassure them that yes...I really DO have to pee.

Old 05-24-2002, 01:45 PM   #10
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Wink

you lot are lucky you can get In the bathroom....I have to make an appointment in my house...jeeez
garry

Closed Thread