It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2002, 10:16 AM   #1
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Unhappy trouble with my gums!!

hi everyone,
I'm feeling very low at the moment!,everyday I get up and there seem's to be no end to my health problems.The latest problem I am having Is with my gum's,It started a while back when I got an infection In the root of a tooth,this was sorted and root filled,but the tooth became loose and although It hasn't dropped out It's still loose.Now at the other side of my mouth I have a bridge fitted and the gum is swollen slightly...no pain just red,It goes up and down like a yo-yo.I take lamictal,and was wondering if there could be a connection!anybody out there with similar problem's.
garry

Old 05-19-2002, 10:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
Wink

hi my hubby is taking meds sometimes used for epilepsy gabapentin for his spinal problems and after we done a search into this med we found one of the rarer symptoms was gum problems you could go searching your self good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2002, 10:51 AM   #3
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hi Gary,

Hon unfortunantly this is one of the side effects you will experience... I have had more problems with my teeth then anything.. infact I am at the point where I just need my teeth removed and have false teeth put in. I took care of them etc etc.. but there was never an end to gum and teeth problems and they allways told me it was my meds and most anti-seizure meds are harsh on the teeth and gums and beleive it or not your nails.. I am however a coffee drinker on top of it all which never helped me not sure if you are but what I ran into was my teeth got real thin they started breaking I have fake front teeth so if you can see through your teeth basically get into your dentist hon you DO NOT want to go through what I went through ...

Hugs
Koko

Old 05-19-2002, 11:42 AM   #4

Beth's Mom HB User
Since starting on Felbatol and Nuerontin Beth has had beautiful nails...always lacquered purple! We used to think it was because she liked to eat gummy worms (no lie, they are made from gelatin)but she has not had them in awhile and still healthy nails.
She seldom will open her mouth enough to have her teeth brushed.Her dental work thusfar has been minimal.
Thinning of the teeth is something we will watch for KoKo...
Hope you get in good dental health soon, Garry. I worked for dentists when in my 20's and should have known better, but let my teeth go for the last 8 yrs. while others became my priority. Now a root canal and having to have two molars removed has taught me too late the error of my ways. You need to see a dentist every 6 mo.--the importance of good insurance.
Marilyn

Old 05-19-2002, 05:34 PM   #5
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
She never had problems with the cutical growing over the nail itself? I still do as a matter of fact.. I have never been one to take care of my nails too well but I had major problems with that.. for the longest time my mom was having to push the cutical back and my fingers would hurt so badley ... now that I do it myself it sure doesn't hurt like that...

Hugs
Koko

Old 05-25-2002, 06:42 PM   #6

Gary L HB User
Hi Garry,
I have been on Dilantin for quiet some time and always have gum trouble. That is one of the most common side effects on Dilantin. I have to go to the dentest and get them cleaned up and some medicine. Other meds for epilepsy are the same way, but maybe not most common.
Good luck, my friend.
Gary L

Old 05-26-2002, 02:50 AM   #7
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Hi everybody,
I'm getting to the point where I sometimes wonder If It's worth taking these drugs to control my siezures.I wake up thinking "what's today going to bring me".I started getting backache,and then my bum went numb,then shooting pains down my legs,I had an x-ray,and was told there Is damage to about 3 vertibrae,I don't understand what It means yet,I try to keep away from the doc's as much as possible,If I were a dog they would put me down,lol.Take care everyone.
garry

Closed Thread