It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2002, 05:08 AM   #1
Inactive

shirlgirl HB User
Smile anyone out there?

Hi guys,

Yes! E has affected my life since i was 13 through schooling, employment, and whatever goes with the package in life, theres been hiccups but have always found away round or over them.
My driving has now suddenly come to a halt due to this, but i just gotta pick up the pieces and accept it. If was to fear when my next fit would be my life wouldn't be a life as such. Medication is not a cure but it is certainly a stability but trying to find the right meds can be a long and slow process depending on age etc......
I live day in day out as normal as poss!! Can't escape that it may be with me for life, but one day at a time is all the steps yeh need to take, i always used to blame myself for me and my body and my illness..nobody wants this nobody wants any illness but thankfully my seizures are now very few and far between.
The only thing i have ever lacked really is self confidence and still don't have it till this day and thats even with kids etc..and having the hubby.
People can make you try to feel better, but the only person that can make you feel better is yourself.
I have very bad mood swings but relate this to the illness. I had a fresh seizure a week ago after 2 years of being without within that spell i learned to drive! and loved it my own independence, i had it for a year now i have just sent my license back to dvla, i will reclaim my licence wihin 1 year of the date of the seizure if i have been fit free there won't be a prob not getting to drive again they will let me but not for a year! So i have always these chances in between, grab it while you can, it is a damn nuisance though when we have to go back to our old routine! I have to accept this as it is package and parcel of the illness...i know i am lucky in one sense cause some people with the condition may never get the chance to drive. I hope i can keep seizure free for this year anyway. Would love to hear from people who hav had same circumstances.
And your storys.
I find hese boards help me alot to.
Bye for now
Shirleyx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2002, 04:17 AM   #2
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
Smile

Hello Shirley!

Welcome to the Boards! I also find this Epilepsey forum a great help.

I was just recently diagnosed (well re-diagnosed I guess you could say) with epilepsey. I had been on meds before but went several years without them. Am currently taking Tegretol to control my seizures.

Even though it may be hard at times, its so important to try and remain positive. I've been down a few times because of having to take meds but I just remind myself that there's always somebody worse off than me.

Take care and keep in touch!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Nic

P.S. I see that you're from Scotland! I was up there about 2 weeks ago and will be getting married in Edinburgh in September!

Old 05-28-2002, 08:44 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Good Morning (at least it's morning here...in Vermont, USA!)
It sounds like you're going through a rough time. I can't do much, except offer my support. You have it! I had my first seizure this past September, and it has changed my life. I live in a very rural area (my nearest neighbors are cows) and in my state you must be seizure-free for six months in order to drive. I was two months away from getting my lisence back when I had another grand mal! It put me into a serious depression until I really thought about the fact that so many people are receiving catastrophic diagnoses much worse than mine....which helped me to dust myself off, and move on. I still have difficult days when I become frustrated and down, but I try to go out and enjoy my gardens etc. I had to reduce my work schedule (I run a teen recreation center) which put me into another downer until I realized that I was given a gift, being allowed to be home to catch up on some projects I really had missed. This message board really help me too. I look forward to connecting with everyone, and sharing experiences.

Best of luck to you. I'll be thinking of you. Kathy

Old 05-28-2002, 12:27 PM   #4
Inactive

shirlgirl HB User
Talking

Hi Nicola!

Just read your post!
Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It must have been terrible to hear, had you'd suffered formly of a epeleptic type attack before.
I used to take tegretol, but that was banished before i came pregnant with my first kid, it wasn't for me and wasn't doing me any justice, i was diagnosed when i was 13 andi am now 32, so you could say i have had it most of my life! i have grand mals, known as tonic clonic now i think, was very bad for seizures when i was younger but they are very few and far between now as i stated before, i suffered a few seizures through my 3 pregnancies, but that was a while back now. I took the last one last week after 2 years of being ok.
A bit disappointing to say the least. I attend neurology out-patients once a year, both times was good news but this time is gonna be bad news when i attend in july. I will prob resume driving again next may if all is well.
Edinburgh eh? I live across the water from Edinburgh in fife. Wow a wedding what nice! Whos the lucky man?
I hope everything goes well for you and yours come september, and many years of happy marital bliss!
I have been married now for 13 years and have never looked back since! I love him to bits, because he understands fully of my illness and is quick on the ball if something does happen.
I hope your wedding plans are going to exactly how you want them.
bye for now
shirlx

------------------
shirley

Old 05-28-2002, 12:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
Hi Shriley! I was diagonosed in November of last year & for other medical reason my husband & I are having to try & get pregnant right now & was wondering if you would mind sharing your exerience with me. I am scared to death to try & have a baby with all of this going on right now but if I do not do it I wil not ever be able to have one. Thanks alot for the help! & welcome to the boards!
Kim

------------------
Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future, today is a GIFT, that it is why it is called the present.

Old 05-29-2002, 04:50 AM   #6
Inactive

shirlgirl HB User
Red face

Hi Kim!

Sitting here reading your post, your sounding very confused.
I can share things with you but i am sure my way of life is mmuch different to yours. You state other medical problems? I only have epilepsy.
Does the medical problems also include your partner?
Is it just the epilepsy side you would like to know about?
Or the birthing side of things?

Take care
Shirleyx

Closed Thread