It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2002, 11:30 PM   #1
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Red face Constant ringing in ears

Has anyone experienced constant ringing in their ears after a bad seizure? I am just wondering if this is going to go away soon.. I am not sure what to do since I don't have a neuro anymore can anyone suggest?

Old 05-23-2002, 01:29 AM   #2

Kimba523 HB User
Smile

Oh, the ringing, will it ever stop! Hi, Koko. I'm a *newbie.* I've been experiencing seizures for 11 years. I wasn't dx'ed until 5 years ago, though. The ringing in my ears started appr. 3 years ago. It was accompanied by an odd vibrating sound about 2 years ago. My neuro, now matter how much I complained, would simply give the simple "MmmHmm's" and "I see's" as he wrote in my chart. Then, at the end of my sessions would say, "About your ear...would you like me to refer you to an Ears,Nose,Throat Doctor?" After a year of both the ringing and the vibrations, I gave up on my neuro assuming it was obviously not connected with the epilepsy considering his lack of reaction during every appointment. Now, I just look like an idiot when the ear defect kicks in and I start banging my ear repeatedly yelling, "StopitStopitStopit" I'm kidding about that. It gradually diminished appr. a year later. Perhaps you will be luckier than I and the petty annoyance will leave you sooner.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2002, 10:52 AM   #3
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Unhappy

You probably won't want to hear this Koko,...but,I have been diagnosed with tinnitus.It started a few years ago and It was just a swishing noise,then It progressed to a ringing noise and now I have a noise like an electrical generator.I have been fitted with two hearing aids to allow me to hear over the sound,and am in the meantime waiting for a masker,or white noise I don't know whether you have heard of these.It's quite a complicated subject and I am only just beginning to understand what tinnitus Is.Apparently, taking A.E.D's,makes the tinnitus worse,and so does asprin.I have been given loads of information about It but like I said It's complicated.I go for another hearing test tommorow In Leeds.Anyway hope yours ringing clears up.I'm falling apart man,lol.
garry

Old 05-23-2002, 01:20 PM   #4
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Well as we get older I expect for things to go wrong with our aging bodies...I am going deaf in one ear but its been like that for a long time and I need corrective glasses on one side (this is because of eye surgery) this ringing just started after this last real bad seizure and your not alone we are both falling apart..LOL

Hugs
Koko

Old 05-23-2002, 09:25 PM   #5

Piano HB User
Hi guys, I have a low grade ringing constantly. But I've been to quite a few rock concerts, so that can't help. I also have this weird sensation: my ear makes a sound like when wind hits a microphone and there's also a fluttering feeling. Does anyone know what I mean? It only started since I got on Dilantin.

Piano

Old 05-24-2002, 12:28 AM   #6
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
kinda like your going under water like a swish? I have that too allways have since I was little never really associated it with my epilepsy though hmmm

koko

Old 05-24-2002, 04:09 AM   #7
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
Hello Koko

Ringing in my left ear started in January after my ear drum ruptured due to a nasty infection. My doc said that I was just going to have to live with it 'cos it was permanant. Well since I started taking Tegretol on Monday the ringing has gotten worse. Guess its just a side effect. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Take care!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Nic

Old 05-24-2002, 01:27 PM   #8

Kimba523 HB User
Piano,
The fluttering...is it like your breathing through your ear?

Kimba

Old 05-26-2002, 12:37 AM   #9
(male)

tchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB Usertchair HB User
I took Dilantin for nerve pain, no epilepsy involved. My ears started ringing with the first dose and haven't stopped (as I had hoped) even though I stopped taking Dilantin six months ago. That's why i checked this message board, knowing that Dilantin is primarily an epilepsy med and wondering if I'd see others experiencing the same problem.

Old 05-27-2002, 01:15 PM   #10

Piano HB User
Koko and Kimba--yes, it's like what you both said, which have similar descriptions. I hear it when I yawn too, and have for a long time. Now that I'm on Dilantin I hear it like 40 times a day, when I'm not yawning. Kind of frustrating.

Piano

Old 05-28-2002, 07:35 PM   #11

Elleigh HB User
WOW... i am so happy right now. i thought i was the only one that has the ringing in the ear. mine started 01/2002 and has NOT stopped. my doctor says the same thing... ummmhummm okay - what else. then i get sent off (home). i listened to loud music when i was younger, now 44. however, i also take dilantin, 500mg a day. i am going to call the drug company and ask for any studies done on ear ringing. interesting...thanks

elliegh

Old 05-29-2002, 04:33 PM   #12

Kimba523 HB User
Wink

Well, I was never given a reason for the ringing in my ears...I'm hallucinating or something. ;D No. The bearthing through the ears thing, though...I was told is because I had tubes in my ears as a child and that I had so many ear infections as a child. It's because my eardrums look like "cornflakes"...I have holes in them and scar tissue build-up. Any other solution, I'd love to hear it.

Kimba

Closed Thread