It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2002, 04:00 AM   #1
Inactive

shirlgirl HB User
Question should i ask again?

Hi Gang,

Yes i have neurology in july. And i feel like asking if surgery would be an option?
My epilepsy is controlled by medication, had it since i was 13 and i am now 32, just lost my driving licence again due to a seizure about 3.5 weeks ago now and feel like my lifes on hold once more.
The problem is my epilepsy shows nothing on the brain etc had all the examinations when i was young and so forth but they said they cannot do surgery then.
Is there a possibility i could get another eeg maybe after all these years and see if there is any defect.
I was told i may grow out of them as i got older, and maybe i will who knows. Mines are very few and far between but when it happens it basically shatters my confidence all over again!
I won't be allowed to drive till next year now.
I wish they could do something to help me. It basically makes me feel like back to square 1 eh, after being 2 years fit free and done so well!
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. My life basically just goes on hold, exactly whens the next one gonna happen? I have never really mixed socially with people most of my life because of it, always frightened someone sees me. Although most of my everyday tasks is normal motherly duties but if i did not have this it would be alot less of a burden and i'd maybe feel quality of life better..i always have gut feeling everywhere i go and feel like peeps know i have it.
I have always wanted to maybe do some work along the lines within my illness, i do not know if there is such a thing as an epilepsy counciling course would love to work doing something with the illness, as my wee boy starts school after the summer and would like to study i thinnk.
bye for now
Shirley.x.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2002, 02:44 PM   #2

Kimba523 HB User
Well, all I can say is...if it would make you feel better get another EEG or MRI...whatever. But, if they didn't find anything then...what would be the chances they'll find something now? Also, what are the chances insurance will cover the second set of tests? They are mighty expensive.

Kimba

Old 06-07-2002, 03:37 AM   #3
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
Since its been so long since you've had the tests you could ask to get them done again but chances are nothing will show up. As my doctor has said before, epilepsy is more of a "descriptive illness".

Surgery is a very radical option (in my own personal opinion) and should be reserved for only the most severe cases of epilepsy. I know that having a seizure after going so long without one can be a knock to your confidence but please try to give your medication a chance.

Take care and keep in touch.

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Nic

Closed Thread