It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2002, 08:09 AM   #1
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Post Epilepsy and Goals

I am curious what other epileptics plan to do with their lives. I started thinking about this after I posted on a thread left by Beth's mom "red line unders eyes before a seizure" think that is what the topic was called. I just want to know how many of you continue to just be yourselfs and not worry what others think... and what you would like to do in the future?

Hugs
Koko

Old 06-02-2002, 11:02 AM   #2
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
Smile

Hello Koko!

Even though I'm only recently diagnosed, I definately don't plan on letting epilepsy take anything away from me. I'm going to continue to live my life to the fullest and not let this drag or get me down!

Keep positive everybody!!

(((BIG HUGS)))

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Nic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2002, 01:37 PM   #3

Beth's Mom HB User
KoKo...good idea to share futures.
Beth is going to be with us until we can no longer handle her care in our home...at that point she will have to go in a facility near her brother who will be made legal guardian. Gives us great incentive to keep as healthy as possible and work to keep Beth in good shape. The main reason we bought the cottage in Michigan on Lake Huron was to reduce stress...people live a long time up there and life is simpler (don't tell everyone, or the whole world will move up there!).
Epilepsy only defeats you when you cannot adjust to it being in your lives. To us it is no different than any other handicap a person may have...you have to learn to get beyond it. Beth travels in a motorhome with us and sees things a lot of kids don't. Her life is as full of happiness as we can achieve.

Old 06-02-2002, 05:46 PM   #4
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hello all!

heres what my goal is.. I am currently working on it too now remember as you read this think of your lifelong love.. Mine as you know is trains.. I plan and am looking at passenger cars to restore and return to service I love doing this.. and as I type this I hear the old steam engine coming into town to goto bed anyway I want to take one of these cars turn it into an observation/diner/lounge car for other rail companies to use. I am currently talking to a railmerchant who see's my dream as a positive one however, finding grants is another story it's just another obstacle in life.. and something new I have to learn ! anyway wish me luck on this venture I wish you all luck as well with your dreams and goals .. a blessing to beth someday I hope something will happen positive with beths epilepsy marilyn I honestly do. Even though we have never talked to beth I feel she is a definate part of my life. Maybe my dream should be dedicated to beth I would like that very much.

Hugs
Koko

Old 06-04-2002, 12:39 AM   #5

Kimba523 HB User
I made the mistake of letting epilepsy take over my life for the first 2yrs. I was scared/embarrassed to leave my home because I might seize. I realized regardless of whether I mope around or get out and do SOMEthing...epilepsy will always be lurking around in the back of my head(no pun intended there). I moved out of my mother's and went back to school. Spent 2 years obtaining education in hotel/restuarant management and threw myself into a career in it. For 4 years I have enjoyed building my resume in deli management and in the near future have the goal of owning my own deli on the beach in Foley.

Kimba

Old 06-05-2002, 10:50 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi Koko,
I plan to live life as simply as possible...which means enjoying each day as stress-free as possible. I just returned from a trip to Connecticut (to shop for a dress for my son's wedding in August ) and spent four days in a state of chaos. It was so bad that I had a partial seizure. My hubby pointed out the reason for the seizure to me after I described my four days of being with my dear cousins. It was bedlam!!! I love them, but life in Connecticut is so much faster-paced than here in Vermont. Between the traffic, cell phone calls and fighting the crowds, I felt like Dorothy and Toto must have felt being so far away from home! *Note..if you live in CT please don't take offense. I lived there too, but it's so different from VT.

Marilyn, I worked with developmentally disabled children and adults for over ten years. So many of these individuals were basically abandoned by their families. God bless you for your committment to giving Beth the best life possible, and for hanging in there when things get rough! She is one very lucky young lady! I cried when I saw some of the people I worked with as they deteriorated due to lack of consistent love and affection. We all need to feel needed! Your plans for Beth's future sound wonderful. Her brother sounds like the perfect guardian.

My passion is working with teens. I plan to continue working at our local Teen Center. In my work, I strive to connect teens with their community members, especially those whom are often lonely and isolated. God willing, I will be hanging with teens when I'm older and grayer!

Old 06-05-2002, 11:14 PM   #7
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Kimba
Kraz

I think if you both go with the same tude as I (cept when your stuck at home) things are nicer for you.. imma rootin for everyone here

Hugs to all
Koko

Old 06-06-2002, 01:23 AM   #8

Piano HB User
Hi, I plan to write a book...and get it published this time. Any ideas?

Piano

Old 06-06-2002, 11:11 AM   #9
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hey piano,

Long time no see girl... heres an idea, write about your music and living with epilepsy as a musician.
again it's just an idea

Hugs
Koko

Old 06-06-2002, 01:58 PM   #10

Kimba523 HB User
Cool

Piano...

Write about US!!!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/clown.gif http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif

teehee

Kimba

Old 06-06-2002, 06:24 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
Well, Epilepsy has definately taken it's toll on me over the last several months & has had me pretty upset. NO MORE though! I have decided to live my life as I choose to & do the things that I have allways enjoyed doing & I am not going to let this thing interupt my life! My goal in life is to be the best Mommy that this little baby could ever ask for & to do so I have to take controll of my life back (could be the hormones talking here huh?)! Koko, I think that sounds like a great idea! I think as soon as you get your first dinning car done we should all have 1 big dinner party together!!!!! My husband said that we all oughta call Oprah & ask her to arrange some way for all of us to get together & meet finally! LOL He said it would make a great show & possibly get others interested in doing some more research on E! What a great idea HUH?!
Take care everyone & thanks Koko for giving us the chance to share our life's goals with you.
Big Hugs to you all!
Kim

------------------
Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future, today is a GIFT, that it is why it is called the present.

Old 06-06-2002, 08:01 PM   #12

Beth's Mom HB User
Kim - I've tried writing to Oprah several times on two ideas...one for a friend of mine who heads up the Dayton Holocaust Education Committee and is just a super self-sacrificing woman..but heard nothing.
Then I sent a frivolous request to be considered for a room makeover...I have a bedroom that has been organized chaos for about 10 yrs. now and wanted to be able to retreat to it being an attractive room for once in my life...but never heard back.
If you can get a show slot would be impressed. I do love Oprah and the good she has done. Maybe she would listen to your husband!

KoKo - What a huge compliment for you to want to dedicate your dream to Beth! How I wish you could see what a beautiful young woman she is. THANK YOU!
I searched for grants for you...the best I was able to come up with was the Small Business Administration...

beths I removed this link as it is not aloud to be posted on the boards thanks-

Click on the red link at the top of the site page to get to the info you need.

Hope something on the site will help you.
Keep your dreams going.
God Bless.
Marilyn

[This message has been edited by Skeetercatt (edited 06-07-2002).]

Old 06-07-2002, 01:27 AM   #13
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Maybe Opra would help us... hey it's a thought atleast for a get together maybe not the grant but the get together hey you all could come up here and we could use the GCRy train go to the canyon....

Hugs
Koko

Old 06-07-2002, 12:49 PM   #14
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hey Chrys

Thanks for dropping by .. You are welcome to stop by anytime and easedrop on us Have you read beths story chrys? I have learned alot from beths mom just about who I am, and not to give up. This is why I would dedicate this project to their family, and beth. Some day I hope it comes true

Hugs
Koko

Old 06-07-2002, 01:38 PM   #15
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Talking

hi everybody,
My main goal is to make sure my kids get through uni,Emily is studying archeaology at York,and Mark is just finishing,I.T. at Leeds.It's hard financialy but they are the most important thing in my life.My other goal Is to try to get well again.As well as t.l.e, I have tinnitus and very bad and pain In my back and legs due to damage to my spine.I'm down but not out.
garry

Closed Thread