It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2002, 06:50 AM   #1
(female)

monarch HB User
Question New and would like info!

Hi, I just found your board. A week ago, my 17 yr. old DD passed out unexpectedly, so I sent her to the dr. and she had an EEG this week and we found out yesterday she has seizure disorder activity. I don't really know for sure what this all means, we can't see the dr. until Monday pm - but I've been trying to read everything I can find. The dr. did put her on 300 dilantin/day. She was in a car accident last Sept. and
the dr. said this could be a result of the accident. I'm sure I'll learn more after the dr. appt., but my mind is going wild in the meantime trying to figure out what all this means. Has anyone else has this happen because of a car accident? She wants to go to college when she graduates next year and be a Physical Therapist and I'm certainly not going to discourage that, but could this end up affecting her life that way? She doesn't know what all this means either, but when I told her she probably wouldn't be able to drive at least 6 months - she wants to sue the lady that hit her big time and wants her to cart her around everywhere (I'd like that part - it's going to be a pain getting her everywhere a teenager needs to be!). Sorry to ramble, from what I've read, you all seem so nice and supportive, guess I just need to be reassured it's going to be ok. Thanks (especially if you've stuck with me this far!!!)

Old 06-08-2002, 07:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
Welcome to the boards Monarch! This won't mean much at the moment, but please know that everything is going to be OK. To give you a little of my past....I was hit by a truck in 1982 & at the time everything seemed fine. It was my big brother that was the one who hit me & to keep him out of trouble we just told my parents that I crashed my bike. (he had just turned 16 http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif)I was fine & just had quite a goose egg & that was all. 20 years later....that's right....20 years later I began having seizures. The only thing that the Doctors can think of that brought these d@amn things on all of a sudden is scar tissue build up. & remember that is just a guess on their part & that is the only head trauma I have ever had. Your daughter is going to go through a pretty tough time in the begining & feel as if her life is going to be effected to the point of total isolation. (I did anyway) It has taken me several months & lots of encouraging words from the people here on the boards & I am begining to see a big bright future ahead of me. I wish you luck & will put you & your DD in my thoughts & prayers. Please know that she is going to be just fine. If you ever get down or scared please come here & someone allways hays the perfect thing to say that will ease your mind. I hope I was of some help to you.
Take care & I hope your weekend flys by as fast as possible so you can get to her appointment a little sooner. I know that waiting is so hard when you do not know alot.
Hugs to you & your DD!
Kim

------------------
Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future, today is a GIFT, that it is why it is called the present.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2002, 01:08 PM   #3
(female)

monarch HB User
Talking

Thanks Kim and congratulations on the baby. All the others are right - I have three kids and enjoyed being pregnant very much. I didn't have seizures, but did have migraines before I was pregnant and rarely have one now - maybe the same will happen with seizures - hope so! You are so right on how hard it is to wait to learn more, but I know it will be ok. I took DD to work this am and she was pretty obnoxious about it (be sure to enjoy the preteen years of your baby!!!!!) but that's life until I know what's happening. You know what's so strange is that I was about ready to settle with the insurance company the day this happened since it had been so long since the accident - but now I have to figure out what all this medical stuff is going to mean toward our insurances. Again congratulations on the baby and enjoy every moment of it!

Deb

Old 06-09-2002, 10:32 AM   #4

Beth's Mom HB User
Monarch,
Welcome to the message board where people really do care!
Our daughter was born with brain damage 23 yrs. ago, so our situation is different.
I love your daughter's idea of making the person who hit her drive her around (!), that is if you could trust the driving!!!
Do not settle with insurance as you have no idea what expense you may run into...they will try to rush you to a settlement. / We did stand up for our daughter in court against her delivering doctor and the hospital only as she will need $$ in the future ...not to milk it but if your daughter's life is limited in any way, you and your daughter deserve to be compensated.
Wish you luck at the neurologist.
Let us know how you do.
Marilyn

Old 06-10-2002, 08:33 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Greetings,
I had my first seizure last September, at age 47. My MRI showed a lesion of (possible) scar tissue from a prior brain injury. The only injury I am aware of is from falling out of a moving car when I was five. It is all so baffling...the brain being a pretty complex organ. I have now had two grand mal seizures, and several partial complex ones. It is frustrating, sad, and life-changing. It sounds like you are very supportive, which is the most important thing your DD needs. Good luck, and hang in there. Kathy

Old 06-10-2002, 04:47 PM   #6
(female)

monarch HB User
Smile

I appreciate all you've told me, slowly I am learning bits and pieces about all this. It's so hard to imagine that this could change DD's life, but I know it can. We saw the dr. today and will go see a neurologist as soon as they can get us in to see if he really thinks the car accident caused this or not and for more info. She did find out she couldn't drive for 6 months and that about killed her and it will me too as she's going to have a 7 am class this fall!

Marilyn, from what I've read so far, you sound like a wonderful supportive mother and I hope for the best for Beth. I also have a 24 yr. old daughter and know how wonderful they can be. The 17 yr. old DD works with the special ed classes at her high school and just loves all these special people. (Have to brag a little here) She received the "Outstanding Youth Volunteer for Special Olympics for 2002" in Iowa this May and she hopes to continue volunteering with these organizations forever.

Kathy, thanks for your note also - you are right, the brain is a very complex thing and I only hope the drs. are able to tell us something as time goes on. She hasn't had an MRI yet, just an EEG and a cat scan last January (she kept repeating herself and had short term memory loss so I was worried and wanted to have her checked). Have you had any more seizures since last Sept. and I don't know what a grand mal seizure is, could someone please explain to me that that is. Thanks everyone!
Debbie

Old 06-10-2002, 07:06 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi Debbie,
Yes, I did have a few more seizures since the initial grand mal in September. I had another grand mal late January, and several partial seizures. A grand mal seizure is the big one....I had loss of consciousness, convulsive spasms and twitching all over my body, frothing of the mouth, eyes rolling back, loss of bladder control, and tongue biting. I was not aware of any of this, but my hubby told me. Afterwards I was in a deep sleep for several hours, and woke up in a hospital with a severe headache and sore muscles, plus a bitten up tongue. It's not fun! The partial seizures are less severe, but begin the same, so they are scarey until you know if one will lead to another. You can read more about different seizures on the opening page right on this forum. Each person is different (the way the seizure starts etc.) and I'm sure other people on this board may tell you what their experiences are. I wish you nothing but the best, and know that you will give DD all the love and support she needs. Good luck, Kathy

Old 06-11-2002, 04:05 PM   #8

Kimba523 HB User
My comment is in regard to you settling with the insurance company. Wait until appr. a month before the statute of limitations (in Georgia it's 2yrs). That way, if the seizures ARE a result of the accident, the insurance company has to pay for ALL medical bills, prescriptions, her travel expenses for the inability to drive, etc. plus pain and suffering (appr. 3xs the added up total of ALL). I say a month before so if you file the settlement and the insurance company tries to claim you did something wrong with the filing, you have a proficient amount of time to correct and re-file.

Kimba

Old 06-11-2002, 08:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
Hi Deb!
I was just wanting to let you know that I have been thinking about you & your DD! Please keep us posted on how things are going with you all. I do hope that you have found some comfort here at this site.
Thinking of you,
Kim

------------------
Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future, today is a GIFT, that it is why it is called the present.

Old 06-12-2002, 04:25 PM   #10
(female)

monarch HB User
Thanks Kim - I take her to a neurologist next Tuesday and hopefully will get a few more answers. The dr. here really feels it was caused by car accident, but said the neuro. could give us more on that.

This may be dumb, but I really don't know what insurance to put this on. My car insurance has covered everything up til now and will be reimbursed by the other one when I finally settle - but I'm worried if I put this on my car insurance instead of my health insurance, she'll never be able to get health insurance when she gets older or be covered on mine until she is older because of something that happened in a car accident. Boy, does that make sense? Plus, we only had liability on her car at the time, so we only have $5,000 medical coverage and that's only until Sept. - then my car insurance is through covering anything and the other one says they will pay nothing until I settle - this could turn into a BIG pain!

Deb

Closed Thread