It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2002, 04:44 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Lisa T HB User
Question Driving????

I have read on many posts about drivers license being taken away! My doc has said no such thing. Although he has advised me not to drive. I don't drive anymore, but I don't understand how you get them taken away? Does your doc do it??? I have been in this long enough I guess I should know but I don't.

Old 06-07-2002, 05:29 PM   #2
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hi Lisa

Most of the time what happens is an epileptic will be driving and have their seizure behind the wheel of a vehicle. Their doc will tell them no more and request the drivers license to be withdrawn thats of course if the PD hasn't already done it first. It's good you are not driving, it's not worth hurting someone or yourself for any reason. I never got my license I do have a car but was never unable to get the seizures under control... and I won't risk anyones life

Hugs
Koko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2002, 01:18 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Lisa T HB User
Does the doc tell you he is doing it? I guess I need to ask huh? My license comes up for renewal here soon, thats why I was wondering!

Old 06-08-2002, 11:53 AM   #4
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Talking

Hi,
Over here in England,the neuro tells you not to drive,and send your licence back to d.v.l.a.He doesn't tell the d.v.l.a,but he warns you that If you have an accident,and the police make enquiries into your medical files,he will give them any help they want.Plus your insurance is invalid,so you could end up in real trouble.But things can change and eventually get the licence back again.In England,you have to be siezure free for 1 year,and when the licence comes back It runs for 3 years,If you stay siezure free,you get another 3 year licence,then after 7 years you get the full licence back.Great eh?.
garry

Old 06-11-2002, 03:31 PM   #5

Kimba523 HB User
Cool

Originally, my first Neuro wrote to the DMV that I had a grand mal seizure. So, they suspended my license for a year. But, since I never gained control of my seizures until last month, (back and forth), I never even attempted to re-instate it. Now, that I tried, my new neuro "suggested" http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif that I wait six months. So...her goes ANOTHER bout of back and forth. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/blob_fire.gif Hey, I've waited 5 years...I can wait five more months!

Kimba

P.S. The icons are for the benefit for the 5yr old sitting in my lap...gotta keep him entertained!

Old 06-12-2002, 10:43 PM   #6

pacemaker HB User
Cool

My Neuro Doc told me not to drive for for 6 months.
If I did drive and had a accident ,I would be in
a whole lot of legal trouble. Check with your state's
Dept of Motor Vehicles Hope this helps.
Peace
Pacemaker

Old 06-15-2002, 05:45 AM   #7

heatherbellamy HB User
It may depend on the state laws.
I can only have 1 seizure reported to my DR a year, if I have any more, my liecens become suspended for a yr.
After that time is up, it is reviewed by my DR. Anytime my meds are changed I can not drive for 3-6mths. I have to have a resticted d.l., and keep my medical restriction card w/ my d.l. at all times.
Every 4 yrs. my d.l. gets sent to our stat capital. My DR. has to fill out forms every 2 1/2 years on my medical condition and a new sticker gets sent to me to put on my medical restriction card. If I do not continue this, I loose my d.l. for a year. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif
It is a pain and another remider that I am not like everyone else...but thats how it goes.
So, after 20 yrs. of being epeleptic, I no longer report every seizure...I just dont drive for a few days at a time http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif

------------------
heather

Old 06-15-2002, 10:06 PM   #8

Texas HB User
I am from Australia. I had all sorts of problems even getting a licence, but now pretty much have the system licked. I have a "spare" doctor, that I only see when I have to get my medical certificate OK'd. As far as he knows, I am seizure free. I also have a "real" doctor, who doesn't get to see my certificate, but knows what is happening with my brain.<p>
This technique has allowed me to keep my licence successfully for a decade now. I know I am no danger on the roads, as I always get at least half an hour's warning before I have a seizure.

Closed Thread