It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2002, 06:15 PM   #1

Beth's Mom HB User
Post Survey #1: Sleeping Patterns

Give a quick response to the following and we'll see if we can see some common threads among them...
Question: What kind of changes in your everyday schedule do you believe brings on more seizures?

Beth has more likelihood of seizures -
- Weekends when she sleeps in and is not on the strict schedule we keep her on schooldays
- After being out on the beach sifting sand too long in bright sunlight in the summer.
_ Around the lunch hour.
_ On the last day of her menstrual cycle.
- When tired from more exercise than she is used to.

Old 05-31-2002, 01:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
Hi Marilyn! I wish I could help you out with this one! I have no idea what brings on a seizure! It would be great if I did but they are just so sporadic that I never know when to expect one. I have been reading all of your posts & have noted alot of my daily activities (which are not much since I am not working & unable to drive)since you recomended so & nothing adds up. I am going to keep doing this though & see if I can one day learn from it. Good luck everyone!
Kim

------------------
Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future, today is a GIFT, that it is why it is called the present.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2002, 06:48 AM   #3
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
Well I'm in the same boat as you Kim. I never know when my seizures are going to come on...they're so sporadic! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Wish I could be of more help!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Nic

Old 05-31-2002, 07:46 PM   #4

Beth's Mom HB User
Sorry, I guess I become too eager to find answers!
There was a time when Beth was starting on Felbatol that I was actually doing charts to document everything she ate,how much she slept, doses,pottied, everything that might help us regulate her...helped me to see patterns, but since getting away from that will admit that I have trouble also predicting other than the following signals...
- Red Circles under the eyes (she has them tonight)
_ Holding her left wrist
_ Patting her right cheek and smiling like she liked it.
_ "Fish Mouth" (moving her mouth like a fish)
_ Either lack of or excess of appetite.
_ Twitches
_ Feisty and uncooperative.

[This message has been edited by Beth's Mom (edited 05-31-2002).]

Old 06-01-2002, 11:43 PM   #5
Inactive

darlene HB User
Hi Marilyn - You mentioned that Beth is more prone to have seizures if she sleeps in on week-ends. Could it be because she takes her medication later in the day? I was just wondering because I know in some information I had read once they stressed the importance of taking it at the same time everyday. Just a thought.

Darlene

Old 06-04-2002, 12:23 AM   #6

Kimba523 HB User
I think Darlene is right. I am more prone to seize when I am late on my meds (weekends or days off). Also, I'm not sure if I mentioned this to you or someone else...I had the majority of my worst seizures around my period. The neurologist put me on Depoprovera (administered by the OB-GYN and covered by insurance b/c it's used medicinally not as birth control)...a once-every-three-months Birth Control shot that completely does away with menses. This shot knocked my seizures down appr. 70%. Lastly, I had to get a bigger T.V. and computer monitor due to the "refresh" rates. Apparently, my brain could "see" the sporadic wave patterns in the screens of the smaller set and monitor. Hope I helped!

Kimba

Old 06-07-2002, 08:38 PM   #7

Beth's Mom HB User
Kimba,
Beth did not start having her monthly until we put her on Felbatol at age 16 which was really late for her to be starting. She had had seizures since 4 mo. of age, so we were not able to make the connection with the estrogen cycle and her monthly being seizure triggers until then.
I think if we stop the monthy for awhile we would still see the seizures as she was having many before then, but an interesting thought. I have often wondered if you controlled the monthly cycles you could alter the seizures, but did not know a shot could help do that.
The more we roll these subjects around, I feel we might find more things that work or don't to keep the seizures from happening. Thanks for all your info...hope we can keep this topic going.
Marilyn

Old 06-16-2002, 04:09 AM   #8

heatherbellamy HB User
Beths mom,
When I was younger my mom would keep track of my seizures. I do now and with getting older and my body changing, the tracking has also.
I have more seizure if I stay up later, take my meds. at a later time, don't eat enough fatty foods, to much stress and always on my monthly cycle. I also had the depo shot, for 5 years, that didn't control mine. I had to have a hysterectomy (for unrelated reasons to epilepsy) and 6 weeks after, have not had a grand mal yet (fingers crossed). I had seizures with all my pregnancies, any type of surgery. Most perscription and non perscription drugs cause me to have them as well.

------------------
heather

Closed Thread