It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2002, 11:43 AM   #1
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
Question Memory loss...anyone??

Hello everybody!!

Hope all is well with you all!

Here's my question: Does anybody experience any significant short-term memory loss due to either your meds or the epilepsy itself? Lately I've been having quite a problem with memory as well as slurred speech (altho this happens really only after taking my meds).

Any thoughts/opinions are most welcome! Thx so much!

(((HUGS)))

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Nic

Old 06-09-2002, 02:00 PM   #2
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Nic,

I have had problems with memory loss once in a while not too bad though. And yes usually just after a seizure for me so I don't really get to concerned as it's short term anyway. Theres, alot of times when I can't find the right words... even when I am typing you do that too?

Hugs
Koko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2002, 02:14 AM   #3
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
Yes I know exactly what you mean Koko. Happens when I'm typing and a lot when I'm talking...its sort of like there's fuse on the blink somewhere between my brain and mouth!! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Take care!

Old 06-10-2002, 08:19 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi Nic,
I have complained and complained about short term memory loss since my first seizure in September. It is debilitating for me. The Doc can't tell me (or won't) if it's from the meds or the seizure itself. I have difficulty finishing sentences sometimes, can't automatically type as I did before (have to comcentrate on the keys),forget everything. I even lost my ability to calculate. I wonder how many other E sufferers have the same problem. Good question/subject Nic. Be well, Kathy

Old 06-10-2002, 10:20 AM   #5
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
Hello Kathy

Glad to know that I'm not the only one! I have a doctor's appt. on Friday and I'm going to ask more about this memory loss. Its getting really frustrating and even gets me depressed at times.

Take care!

Old 06-10-2002, 10:47 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi Nic,
I often think I'll push the Doc into being honest with me about whether the memory loss thing is permenant, or if it's the meds, by telling him I hope I don't forget to "not drive!" I wish I knew just exactly what causes it....the seizures or the meds. Somehow, if I knew it was the meds I wouldn't mind it as much. There's always hope that someday they'll find a better drug. I'm glad we have this healthboard, and can share our frustrations, because everyone I mention the memory thing to seems to pass it off as normal. Even my Neurologist told me he forgets things all the time. IT'S DIFFERENT! I get depressed about it too...and really frustrated. I'm glad we can vent. Good luck at the Doc. appointment. Let me know what the verdict is on the memory. I'll try to remember to check and see if you post the answers. LOL Kathy

Old 06-10-2002, 11:35 AM   #7

cle5150 HB User
Yes!! I have (and my family has) noticed that my memory has gotten worse and worse over the past few year, and even worse since my first sezuire in December. When I went on Topomax- forget it, I actually got lost going home and lost going to work, I just couldn't remember anything. I am only 29, so my memory should be pretty much intact, so I assume it is what ever is happening with the sezuire activity that has caused the problem.

Old 06-11-2002, 05:42 AM   #8
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
Smile

Thanks for all of the support everybody! These boards are definately a blessing.

I'll post what happens at my doctor's appt...if I remember to!! *lol* http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Take care everybody!

Old 06-13-2002, 05:37 PM   #9
(male)

Kodo HB User
Hi Nic,

Well during the last ten years, Ive had a big increase in memory problems, though mine seem to be more long term than short. My job is getting harder and harder to do. Names are the worst, even has gotten so bad I adopted a policy of never using peoples names in a conversation. Every visit to the Dr has me researching the road map like some adventure. I've only been there 50+ times.
My Nero has the easy no-answer, doesnt know if its the seizures or the drugs. After reading about other's conditions, and the diversity of symptoms and reactions to the same drugs, I'm beginning to see why.

Kodo

Old 06-15-2002, 09:53 PM   #10

Texas HB User
I took Topimax for a while and experienced exactly the same thing. It messes with the chemicals in your brain and can cause stuttering and slurred speech. Not to mention and inability to make perfect sense.<br>
In regards to other memory problems, I have a terrible memory for directions or what people look like (visual-spatial memory) because I have had problems with my right temporal lobe (which has now been excised). If you have a scar on your brain, depending on where it is, it may result in memory problems of one sort or other.

Old 06-16-2002, 02:05 PM   #11
Rose&Music

Smile

Hi! I know exactly what you mean! I'm 24yrs. old. I can't remember anything from my middle or high school years! I just know where I went to school. Also, if someone told me to remember something; it's not very likely I'd remember it! I believe it's from my medicatin that I take for my seizures.

Closed Thread