It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
depression and seizure meds

I've had depression pretty much my whole life. On meds for the past 11 years. I've been on lexapro 10mg for about 3 years. I've also had a seizure disorder for most of that time, just diagnosed this summer. I started taking keppra this summer 500 2x/day. It worked really well, and almost completely stopped the simple partials (which is pretty much all I have). When the school year started again, my stress went up and the seizures came back full force. The neuro doubled my dose to 1000 2x/day. Since then, I've been getting more depressed.

My problem is that pretty much all of the SSRIs (antidepressants) say that they may cause or increase seizures. And pretty much all of the anti-seizure meds say that they may cause or increase depression.

So I've been holding off on increasing the lexapro because I'm afraid it will make the seizures worse, but I'm getting to the point where the depression is interfering with my life again. (Of course, it's also the last two weeks of the semester, I'm buying a house, getting braces, and changing my dissertation topic, so it could just all be stress!)

I'm probably going to call my neuro tomorrow, but generally I can't get in there for a few weeks after I call. And I really need to find a new psychiatrist, because I'm not on speaking terms with my old one, so that will take at least a month before I get in to one of those. (I decided that the psychologist my psychiatrist referred me to was a nutcase, so I called and asked my psychiatrist for a new referral, and she wouldn't return my calls, so if she's not going to care about that, I'm not giving her my business.)

Anybody else dealing with this conundrum of dueling meds? I feel like I have to choose which misery to suffer. If anybody is dealing with this stuff, do you know if there are any meds that are better or worse for these contraindications? Or any other suggestions on balancing these things?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

inda HB User
Re: depression and seizure meds

Hi!

I too have suffered with depression and anxiety my whole life i am 51 now

I just started Keppra in oct 500mg 2x a day...one of Keppra's side effect is depression and anxiety.... I was already fighting my depression acting up and had switched meds around.. I take 120mg of cymbalta 60mg 2x a day and 200mg of doxepin at night... I cant tell that anything has changed since switching the meds around but I do feel like the depression has gotten worse since I started taking the Keppra.. I saw my neuro last week and she thinks that the Keppra isnt doing it.. since it is one of the few meds that DO NOT intereact with all the rest of my meds... I see my clinican next week and not too sure what we will do now.. my anxiety level is sky high and all i do is worry and fret...

Did you have any problem with the Keppra making you drowsy?? I could barely function the 1st week I started it.

would be very interested in what your neuro/psych have to say about it!

Old 11-29-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Keppra CAN cause depression.

I had problems of that nature when I was increased from 3000 to 4000/day. My Dr refused to do anything giving me the line "it'll go away". The Emergency Room on the other hand after 6 weeks of syptoms was shocked at my levels and dose, and insisted that I drop back to 3000. The symptoms went away within 24 hours.

At lower doses I don't know how frequent it is. In my case 3000 is max recomended dose and I was above max dose. So talk to your Dr. If it occurs after increases you may need to go with slower increases of Keppra.

--Travis

Old 11-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
(male)

jerrytom HB User

I was told by several epileptologists that partials are usually focused from the temporal lobes and the temporal lobes control emotions. I've been taking Keppra for about 2.5 years and haven't really noticed any change in my level of depression. My epi told me that it was kind of normal with problems in the temporal lobes. All the AEDs have nasty side effects and Keppra I think is one of the worst for some people. I got really tired when I first started and when it was increased. Those where the only side effects I had from it.

The depression is really bad with epilepsy, I'm not sure if it's from the temporal lobes or just from having the problem. I get really depressed after having a seizure for a time, it depends on how bad they are and how many I have. Good luck and I hope you find a good team of doctors. Try to have a great Christmas. Jeff

Old 12-03-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
(female)

RubyBluebird HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehorner
I've had depression pretty much my whole life. On meds for the past 11 years. I've been on lexapro 10mg for about 3 years. I've also had a seizure disorder for most of that time, just diagnosed this summer. I started taking keppra this summer 500 2x/day. It worked really well, and almost completely stopped the simple partials (which is pretty much all I have). When the school year started again, my stress went up and the seizures came back full force. The neuro doubled my dose to 1000 2x/day. Since then, I've been getting more depressed.

My problem is that pretty much all of the SSRIs (antidepressants) say that they may cause or increase seizures. And pretty much all of the anti-seizure meds say that they may cause or increase depression.

So I've been holding off on increasing the lexapro because I'm afraid it will make the seizures worse, but I'm getting to the point where the depression is interfering with my life again. (Of course, it's also the last two weeks of the semester, I'm buying a house, getting braces, and changing my dissertation topic, so it could just all be stress!)

I'm probably going to call my neuro tomorrow, but generally I can't get in there for a few weeks after I call. And I really need to find a new psychiatrist, because I'm not on speaking terms with my old one, so that will take at least a month before I get in to one of those. (I decided that the psychologist my psychiatrist referred me to was a nutcase, so I called and asked my psychiatrist for a new referral, and she wouldn't return my calls, so if she's not going to care about that, I'm not giving her my business.)

Anybody else dealing with this conundrum of dueling meds? I feel like I have to choose which misery to suffer. If anybody is dealing with this stuff, do you know if there are any meds that are better or worse for these contraindications? Or any other suggestions on balancing these things?

Thanks.

Wow I thought you had been reading my files. This sounds just like me. Have been on Lexapro 2+ years and while it worked in the beginning I have been having increasing depression these past few months. (I was diagnosed with a Cavernous Malformation, non-malignant brain tumor this past July. I had passed out at dinner and it was determined this was a seizure.) I have been on 400 mg of Dilantin ever since and have had no recuring seizures though the EEG said my brain waves show "seizure disorder tendancy".

If you figure out what to do, let me know. I have been seeing an excellent psychologist and she has helped me out of depression in the past. I have a terrific amount of stress too- my job is in the toilet, I am self employed with no business of late, cannot drive for six months, no health insurance because of pre-existing conditions. Truly it all sucks.

My dad has been helping me financially but it depresses the hell out of me for him to do that. I am 52 and have been supporting myself since I was 18.

The Lexapro helps me with suicidal ideation so in that regard it is good. I too have been depressed most of my life it seems.

I wish I had some ideas for you. I am just trying to live one day at a time and not get too far ahead of myself so as to increase my stress.

RubyBluebird

Old 12-04-2006, 04:59 AM   #6
(female)

spinnymommy HB User

I got my epilepsy from a head injury.

I became suicidal and was put on Lexapro.
About a year later, the neuro switched me to Cymbalta and
it has worked well for me.

Also, he put me on Lamictal, which instead of causing depression,
tends to have a mood leveling effect. (they also use it for bi polar)

After I titrated to 200mg twice a day, my seizures finally stopped.
We are all different of course, but this is what works for me.
I thought I'd share it.

Old 12-09-2006, 05:44 PM   #7
(female)

aggravation HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehorner

Thanks.
I've been on seizure medicines for 33 years and a variety of anti-depressants too. It seems like most anti-depressants say that about seizures,but in all these years,the only anti-depressant that ever caused that with me was WELLBUTRIN. It sounds like you have the same seizures I had (i had brain surgery of the left temporal lobe about 10 years ago). I've been on anti-depressants about as long as seizure medicine and only trouble with the Wellbutrin. Hope this helps. rhonda

Old 12-10-2006, 09:21 AM   #8

mollyd1234 HB User

I was first put on Prozac and that did NOTHING for me except make me want to climb the walls (too stimluating). Then I went to Lexapro and that worked for a while but quit working (and I gained a lot of weight). I went to Cymbalta and that did nothing. Now I'm on Celexa (which is actually a "sister" of Lexapro) and that seems to be working ok.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:00 PM   #9
(female)

felixjunkie HB User

It sounds like you might want to try Lamictal. I was on it for my seizures until I got a rare skin reaction and had to stop, but it did wonders for my mood and depression/anxiety. Now I'm on just prozac and I'm on the hunt for a new seizure med, but I feel much more anxious and unhappy now that I'm off Lamictal. I wish I hadn't reacted to it...

Old 12-20-2006, 03:17 PM   #10
(female)

anemone HB User

Hey,

I found this all very interesting to read, because I've been struggling with the mixture of depression/seizures too.

I'm on a very high dose of Prozac along with Seroquel, both of which can cause seizures. They have both done wonders for my mood & OCD, but I am uncertain as to whether they've effected my seizures...

Psychiatrists & neurologists seem (in the UK at least!) to have some aversion to talking to each other. I am, so far, on no meds for the epilepsy, but I seem to spend most of my time as it is, ferrying messages between the psych & neuro...

I hope you can find a solution...

Take care

Old 12-25-2006, 07:41 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kayakmom HB User

My son takes lexapro along with Lamictal. He has depression along with his epilepsy. He also had keppra induced suicidal thoughts and two attempts while on it. It works great for some people, but was LOUSY for him. He had depression on depakote at age 9 as well, but our current epileptologist ignored this in his history. We tried to tell him how poorly he was responding, but he just was not hearing us until the first attempt. He starting weaning then. Unfortunately, we almost lost him in his second attempt.

He is doing pretty well now with lamictal and 10 mg of lexapro, but we feel he could use another 5 mg or so.

Everyone is so different though!!

I understand your concerns!!

Do you also see a psychiatrist? That can be an important part of dealing with depression as comorbid part of depression and Epilepsy.

I also have newly diagnosed seizures. Have had depression for some time, but am just now treating both. (was misdiagnosed for a long time, now the doctors found that the migraine variant was what they thought was sinus disease for hte last 12 years, including 2 surgeries.....odd symptoms went away when I started Topamax for the migraine.....)

I wish you well as you try to get the depression controlled. There are so many ups and downs....

G

Old 12-25-2006, 08:17 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I saw my neuro last week. He is taking me off the keppra and I'm going on to zonegran. It was between zonegran and lamictal, but we went with zonegran because of the slow titration time with lamictal, so it would actually have taken 4-5 weeks to get up to a reasonable dose.

I procrastinated for a while, since I was moving and then out of town, and couldn't find my list from my insurance that said whether or not it was covered. Finally found the list and it is covered, but then I got an even nicer surprise when I got it filled and found out that it is available as a generic. Yay!

So I'll start it tonight.

I'm still trying to find a psychiatrist who is taking new patients. I've called I think four different offices that were recommended by the neuro (and also some that were recommended by the places that aren't taking new patients), but absolutely nobody is even taking new patients at this time. They all said to try calling somebody else, or to call back in a few months. Good thing it's not a real emergency! I've got one more major place to call, then I'm totally out of referrals and ideas.

My neuro said that I could try getting off the lexapro, since I felt better off of it. He thought that maybe I could try going off, and perhaps I'd just need to take it intermittently. The problem with that is the difficulty in getting off the lexapro. Not a good one to stop, then start and stop again when you need it. So I asked if he could write a prescription for prozac, since that has no withdrawal effects (at least for me). But he said no, since he's not a psychiatrist and doesn't know those meds as well. Hmm.... he was okay with telling me to stop taking the lexapro, but won't prescribe something else? Oh well. I guess I'll just stay put until I see a shrink.

The other attractive element of the zonegran is the weight loss. I could certainly use some help in that arena. He said lamictal shouldn't cause weight gain, but generally doesn't cause weight loss. So the zonegran sounded like a good choice. Plus, I'm sure that the lamictal is not available in generic, so it's more money.

Now we'll just have to wait and see if the lexapro and the zonegran can play nicely with each other.

Closed Thread