It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2002, 07:07 AM   #1
(female)

megster HB User
Cool no more meds

well guys,

you know what i did? months ago i was busy as hell with school and such and i was supposed to go on new meds. well, being silly me i took myself off my old ones and just didn't go on my new ones.

so now, i haven't been on medication for a year or so now.

but you know what? i doesn't make a difference!!! i have temporal lobe epilepsy and had brain surgery, that didn't work by the way, but i'm still having the same amount of seizures that i was having on my meds as i'm having off my meds which is just a couple per month

so my seizures stayed the same and i don't have to worry about all those stupid side-effects.

oh, i did tell my doctor about this, suprisingly, since i'm not having any bad seizures he was cool with it (my parents are another story, they still don't know)

anyway, if you had mild seizures to begin with, with the assistance of your doc, i think you should try going off meds and seeing what happens. but remember, everyone is different and this may not be suitable for you....don't do it alone like i did---i was dumb.

anyway, thought i would share what happened to me.
bye guys!

Old 06-18-2002, 06:51 PM   #2
Inactive

jamie888 HB User
i think that is great that you could go off your meds with the support of your dr. of course...

i dont need drugs really either, and have not beenon them since 1981 when i got pregnant..

i was scared to death to get off them but at the same time it was such a relief not to take anything!

i have photo sensitive seizures and since they only come on when i am in a strobe lighted area and it has to be for a while before anything happens..

so as long as i can avoid strobe light effects, this includes the sun filtering through the trees, anything that makes it a strobe light effect....

then i dont have to worry about it,but ya know i've lived a very sheltered life from this....

it has been very sheltered and worrysome..to the point that i feel my whole life has been dictated by my surroindings..

so my dr. started me on depakote for anxiety, and the added benefit of it is the protection of the seizures..

i am amazed at home much better i have felt in only two days just knowing that i have some protection on the way..

i dont really even know at what dose i need the protection and if it is only a psychological thingy that is okay too cause i still wont go in strobe areas but i at least am not freaking out if i need to drive down a street or two of shadie trees and the sun in between them..

i am still extremely cautious without the fears!
sorry i forgot this was about you..

i'm still new to all this.....i am glad you are drug free tho, really i am!

i remember the freedom of what it feels like!

good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2002, 03:04 AM   #3

Texas HB User
I know it can feel good to be off all meds, but I can tell you from experience that the longer you are off meds, the more of a downer it is when you finally come crashing back to earth and need to go on full meds again.[p]
I really hope it all goes well for you, and this doesn't happen to you. I also had surgery, and, like you, it didn't seem to fix things. Like you, I am keen to go off all meds, as the long-term effects of taking anti-convulsants is not well know, but it may cause liver damage. My neurologist is cool about it, and has said I can try in a few months. It will be my third time I have gone off all meds in the past decade.

Old 06-23-2002, 04:40 AM   #4

heatherbellamy HB User
I wish you all the luck in the world!
I tried the no meds, on my own. I felt like a new person, I loved it. Never once did I seizure. Then I had a few grand mal's during the night one year later they didn't stop for a few days. I seizure with meds, just not as much as I would without.
I really hope this works well for you!! Stay safe.

------------------
heather

Closed Thread