It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2002, 08:36 PM   #1

Series32 HB User
Question Does it get worse

Hi again all, just a question here, hope someone can shed some light on for me. Had a bad head injury as a child and had first seizure as an adult at age 27 (7yrs ago). Have been on Tegratol ever since. My question is, Does the frequency of siezures get worse with time, or are they controlled by our Meds, what Im wondering and concerned about is that if it is going to get worse, and I have to increase my dosage surely there reaches a point when my meds just wont be enough.

Old 06-22-2002, 03:57 AM   #2
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Talking

hi!,
Good question,but complicated,my personal view Is,I supose first off,what Is causing the siezures?,If It's damage due to an accident,then I suppose It depends on what the damage Is,so In that case siezures could go either way.Me personally,my siezures from childhood were basically the same,but as I got older (45),I started having more and this was accompanied by panic attacks,memory problems,mood swings,etc.Where meds are concerned,I think It depends on what works for the individual,and side effect's,I personally changed meds due to side effects,although I have only been taking them since 99.My sister has grand mals,I don't think they have got any worse.I know people that are not controled even though they take meds,but their life Is made a little better by taking the meds.Sorry I haven't helped much but maybe someone else here may have more info for you.
take care
garry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2002, 07:56 AM   #3

Elleigh HB User
hi -
i started having grand-mals at 17. up to 37 aveage 1 a year. maybe 2. but, NOW that i am going thru the change of life. i am having alot more this year i've had 4 already. meds aren't helping. and i am only 44 years old.

good luck.

Old 06-23-2002, 05:57 AM   #4

heatherbellamy HB User
Hi.
I too had a head injury at 12, and was told thats what caused my seizures.
I was also told at 13, puberty is what caused my seizures, and I would grow out of them. Hormonal changes. Needless to say puberty came and went and I still have seizures.
Many years later I was told a blow to the head was not a likely cause for seizures. (I went through a car window in a car accident).
I personally think epilepsy is still a quessing game, and so many people want answers that doctors grasp.
In 20 years I haven't been on a medication that has total control of the seizure activities. But I have less grand mals. Thats a good thing.
Good Luck to you.

------------------
heather

Closed Thread