It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2002, 04:37 PM   #1

connacht1 HB User
Question Can Epilepsy suddenly stop?

Firstly hello all, im a newbie and virtually clueless about Epilepsy.But anyway here's my question.
Almost 12 months ago I started having seizures(im 26), they happened fairly regularly about once every two weeks. After seeing a neurologist and having all the tests i was diagnosed with epilepsy and have since taken 200mg of lamictal daily.
To make a long story short, the seizures stopped completely about 2 months ago, and im just wondering is it possible for this condition to stop as suddenly as it started.
Thanks all
Mac.

Old 06-08-2002, 11:21 PM   #2
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hi There!

Welcome to healthboards

To answer your question, there have been some cases where seizure disorder was brought on by harmonal changes. However, in most cases, seizure disorders are due to head injuries and left over scar tissue from an accident. If yours came on suddenly keep doing research and never give up hope that they will stop. Most the people in this forum have been in serious accidents as young people or have been in accidents as an adult. If you have questions please please keep posting them we will do all we can to help answer your questions.

Hugs
Koko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2002, 01:50 PM   #3

connacht1 HB User
Thumbs up

Thanks Koko,
I know so little about this condition I'll definitely keep researching.As the saying goes 'expect the worst but hope for the best'
Thanks again.

Old 06-10-2002, 11:11 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
It's possible that your medication levels are now at the point where they are keeping you seizure free. That is, if you are still taking the meds. Or, maybe, as Koko said, your hormonal or other metabolic levels have become more stabilized. Either way, it's great that the seizures have stopped. Good luck! Kathy

Old 06-12-2002, 10:52 PM   #5

pacemaker HB User
Hi There Connacht1:
Mine started suddenly I haven't had one in
about 2 years , but Doc wants me to continue on
the seizure meds The last time I went off the meds
I had my 2nd seizure. I am, as we all are happy
for you that they have stopped
Peace
Pacemaker

Old 06-23-2002, 08:58 PM   #6

casandria HB User
I've never heard of the "main" cause for seizures being head injuries. For me, it's hereditary. My birth-mother has it, my half sister (same mother) has it and I have a daughter with E and turretts. My 5yo son is also being tested for it.

This is from *****.com:

"In 7 out of 10 cases of epilepsy, there is no known cause. Children are more likely than adults to develop epilepsy from an unknown cause. A family history of epilepsy (genetics) may sometimes be a factor, although experts are not sure what factors cause epilepsy to be passed from parent to child."

Closed Thread