It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2002, 03:18 PM   #1

mnsnellers HB User
Question new to site

Hello, I am new to this board. I would like to give a little backround on myself. I was a normal kid until age 14 when I started having seizures. The doctors called them speech seizures because I would black out and started talking funny. I had surgery in 1986 to remove a cyst from my left temporal lobe. Everything was fine until Nov 2001 when I woke up with EMTs standing around my bed. I was told I had a Grand Mal seizure and my then wife called 911. I was taken to the hospital, checked out and released. I started seeing a Dr at the Mayo clinic because I live near Rochester and was put on 300 mg of dilantin a day. I was ok for a while (I had a couple small seizures, but nothing significant) until Nov 2001. I was driving home from my daughter's parent/teacher conference when I was involved in a very serious car accident. I was told it was a seizure that caused it, but am not sure. I severly broke my left foot (my dr said most patients with a injury as severe as mine lose their foot) and broke my left collar bone, but looking at my car, I was lucky that was all I got. I had another visit with my Dr, did a sleep deprived eeg, and was told that I had the beginnings of a seizure which he said is rare during an eeg. He put me on Keppra along with the Dilantin. I am currently on 1500 mg of Keppra twice daily along with 400 mg of dilantin. I am still having seizures. I can have 7 in one day, then go a week or longer without having any. My girlfriend says my seizures are normaly just a blank stare or I will start talking funny or talk but make no sense (ex. I asked my daughters one time who they were). I am currently not working because of the injury to my foot and my doctor says I will probably never be able to have a stand up job again because of the injury. I have always worked in the automotive industry, so I have always had a stand up job.

Is anyone aware of any help I can get? I am trying social security, but they are saying I am not disabled enough not to work. It is very frustrating, becuase I never imagined that at 30 yrs old, I would be walking with a cane or crutches, having seizures, and not able to work.

I am very sorry for the long post, but it feels good to get some things off my chest. I hate unloading on my girlfriend or family members all the time. Thank you very much

Jason MN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2002, 08:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi,
I am sorry that you are having such a rough time. Unfortunately I don't have any advice....just wanted to offer my support. Good luck in finding the information you are seeking. Kathy

Old 06-25-2002, 05:14 AM   #3

casandria HB User
I'm sorry to hear about your predicament. One thing I can tell you is that it's Social Security's job do deny you and deny you. They have to weed through a lot of fakers every day and I think they just deny on general principle the first few times. Your best bet is to get a lawyer. They generally just take a percentage of your back pay as their fees and then you keep the rest and any future payments.

If you don't want to go that route, then you have to be persitant. You will have to apply, not just ask them if your disabled enough. Epilepsy alone, if it's severe like yours appears to be, can qualify you. I myself haven't been through the process, but I've been asking questions because I plan to apply once I'm officially diagnosed.

Don't give up on this and keep us posted.

Old 06-25-2002, 07:58 AM   #4

gail55 HB User

Closed Thread