It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2002, 10:05 AM   #1

Simona1 HB User
Post trileptal and pregnacy

I'm 27, and began having partial seizures for the first time about 8 months ago. They are pretty much controlled by Trileptal (900 mg/day). My seizures are very mild, I feel like I'm having deja-vu, often have a strange rising sensation from my stomach, and feel slightly nauseous. My neurologist thinks it's due from a slight scarring on my brain, but we don't know where that came from.

I'm considering getting pregnant sometime in the next couple of years, and want to know how dangerous the trileptal would be to the baby. Everything I read just says "consult your doctor", but he hasn't said anything specific about it. I'm thinking about just stopping taking the meds, at least for the first 3 months of pregnancy, but worry that the seizures will become stronger if I due.

Does anyone have any info on this? I'd really appreciate some input.

-Simona

Old 06-25-2002, 01:03 PM   #2

casandria HB User
Have you asked your doctor point blank about it? Hormonal changes during pregnancy can increase the frequency and severity of your seizures. Additionally, taking yourself off a medication can trigger seizures if not done under your doc's supervision. As for more info on your medication you can check out this link:
[url="http://my.*****.com/content/article/4046.2119"]http://my.*****.com/content/article/4046.2119[/url]

The FDA has put it in a category C which means they have no idea if it is harmful or not to unborn babies.

Hope this helps and keep us posted!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2002, 08:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ksavage HB User
Hi Simona!
I am starting my 13th week of pregnancy & I have done wonderful! As the other poster stated....the seizures could become worse with pregnancy. But mine have "left the building"! I quite all my meds as soon as I found out I was pregnant. I was on Neurontin & Tegratol. I slowly took myself off & have been seizure free almost the entire duration of my pregnancy. Keep in mind that everyone is different & you never know how you are going to be until you have gone through it, but please do not let this stop you from having a baby. I was scared to death about it & my husband & I had put alot of thought into it & kept on putting it off. Well.....one day I was pregnant! We did not plan on it or anything. If that would have not happened then we would still be talkin about it & to tell you the truth I think I was too worried to even "chance" it so I do not think I would have ever had a baby. Talk with your Dr. but please do not let them make this choice for you. As my OB told me....there are Epileptic woman that have healthy happy babies everyday in this world & there is no reason that you should not be one of them!!!!! Just keep that in mind OK. I know I did not really answer your question on you meds but I think you could find the information you are looking for on the net.
I wish you luck!
Kim

------------------
Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future, today is a GIFT, that it is why it is called the present.

Closed Thread