It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2002, 07:43 AM   #1
(male)

Phantom_309 HB User
Question ABS-103

I was diagnosed with epilepsy around two years ago. I have a grand mal seizure about once every 7-10 months, so far medicated or not. I am being weened off of Dilantin (400mg day) and put on Depakote (currently up to 750mg day) because the Dilantin didn't seem to control my seizures. The nuero also told me that the Dilantin had my liver enzymes elevated too high.

I am concerened about the Depakote because I have heard it causes weight gain and hair loss, along with liver problems. I do not want to take medication for one disorder only to develop another, especially if the medication "might" work with no guarantees like the Dilantin. Like I said, I went 7 month between seizures with NO MEDS and around 10 months on the Dilantin.

Anyway, has anyone tried ABS-103? I hear it is stronger than Depakote and doesn't have the nasty side effects. Is this true? Will it be available soon for epileptics? I am really interested in this new drug and I think it could really improve our lives if what is said is true.

Thanks.

Old 06-26-2002, 09:01 AM   #2

casandria HB User
Well, since Abbott Laboratories terminated it's licensing contract with American Biogenetic Sciences (ABS) in Nov of last year, it's really uncertain when it will be available. ABS is trying to find new partners, but I haven't heard anything about if they've found any. Maybe someone else here knows.

In the mean time, you can ask your doc about other meds. There are lots out there and another may work for you with fewer side-effects. If your doc is unwilling to try any others, you can always ask for a second opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread