It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2002, 10:25 AM   #1
(male)

Kodo HB User
Question Trial time limit for AEDs

After trying various drugs over the last few years, Im still trying to get a straight answer to this question from my most wise Doctor:

How long do you give one of these drugs to take effect and help? Just wondering how long you have been asked to stick to a drug/dose that dosen't appear to be helping anything but the drug company's profits.

Kodo

Old 07-01-2002, 02:13 PM   #2

mnsnellers HB User
I know the feeling. I have been going to the "world famous Mayo Clinic" (again, not necessarily my opinion)for my treatment, my docotor had me on 400mg of Dilantin, then a seizure popped its ugly head and I got into a car accident (now I am scared to drive ever again) he then put me on a gradual increase up to 1000mg of Keppra twice a day along with the Dilantin. He said he was going to wean me off the Dilantin (it has been 6 months since he said that and I am still on 400mg). I am still having seizures, so he is putting me up to 1500mg Keppra twice a day and still leaving me on the Dilantin. My medication alone is costing me $60 a month and that is with insurance (I know that don't seem expensive, but when you can't work, that is alot of money). I don't know what I am going to do if I am still not working when my COBRA plan on my health insurance from my former employer runs out if I still can't work because I happened to see the total cost for the Keppra one day and for the dosage I am on, it runs a total of over $450 for 1 month! Sometimes I wonder if doctors aren't getting a little cut from the pharmaceutical companies. What really sucks is my ex-wife worked for a veterinarian and they use alot of the same medications (not necessarily these two, but I have seen others) for animals and pay about 10-15% of the cost. IMO the government needs to step in and step in fast on drug cost.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2002, 11:55 AM   #3
(male)

Kodo HB User
Exclamation

Yeah I know what you mean about the price for those keppra horse pills. I read somewhere that the company has a patent or something on the drug for ten years or so to cover their research and development.

But what happens if you suddenly lose coverage or something! I guess its either your keppra or your house.

Closed Thread