It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2002, 06:28 PM   #1

Simona1 HB User
Question driving, insurance, and seizures

I was going through some of the past posts people have written, and came across something about the possibility of having your license taken away and your insurance being invalid if you have epilepsy. What if you've never lost awareness or ability to move, even when having a seizure while driving? During my seizures, I'm still able to talk and react and move and everything, although it's true my reactions are probably slower than normal. Does this still count? I have to drive for my job, so not being able to would really impact me.

-Simona

Old 06-25-2002, 06:58 PM   #2

mnsnellers HB User
I cant help much, but it has alot to do with the state you live in. In Minnesota, you have to be seizure free for six months in order to be able to drive. I had an accident in Nov which they determined was caused by a seizure (although I have my doubts). My doctor had to fill out paperwork and send to the state. I have never heard anything back, so I am assuming I still have a drivers liscense, but I am not driving just to be safe and because I am still having seizures. My advice to you would to hold off on the driving just to be on the safe side, but that is a decision only the individual can make. I would however check the laws in your state before you drive too much, because if something did happen, you could be in alot of trouble.

Just my thoughts
Jason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2002, 08:59 PM   #3

casandria HB User
I think the laws vary from state to state, in Texas it's 6 months, too. You mention driving for work, if you have to have a special license for that, there may be different laws that apply. Although you haven't lost consciousness in a seizure or your ability to move, you do admit that your responses are slower.

The very reason driving while under the influence of alcohol is illegal is because it slows your responses. Additionally, just because your seizures to date haven't been too severe, that doesn't mean they won't or can't be.

I had completely undetectable seizures (nothing visible, not even slowing down) for 29 years and then BOOM a grand mal. You never know with seizures, the brain is a tricky thing. While I understand not wanting to lose your livelyhood, you also have to consider safety not only yours, but that of others around you. What if you did have one while driving and were unable to control your vehicle and killed someone? Epilepsy is not an easy thing to live with, but that would be much worse.

Old 06-26-2002, 12:20 PM   #4
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Talking

hello there,
You will probably have different laws over there,but here in England the regulations concerning epilepsy and driving are laid down in law and requires freedom from any form of epileptic attack,whilst awake for at least 12 months before driving can be permitted.Drivers who have had attacks whilst asleep within the previous 12 months,may be relicenced if attacks whilst asleep had occurred at least 3 years ago and NO form of awake attack has occurred since that date. Otherwise,12 months freedom from attacks is required.The law does not differeniate between the various symptoms of epilepsy.Therefore,an aura,an absence,and convulsion areof equal significance to driving.In the unfortunate circumstance of you suffering a further siezure and being unable to satisfy the epilepsy regulations,you must cease driving and inform the dvla.
complicated eh?.
garry

Old 06-27-2002, 02:02 AM   #5
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
Question

Garry,

We only have to be seizure free for 12 months over here to be eligible for a drivers license? My doctor told me I have to be seizure free for 2 years before I can apply for a license. I've never had a grand mal and at the moment my meds are working great.

Take care!

Nic

Old 06-27-2002, 08:57 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
In Vermont (USA) you must be seizure-free for six months in order to get your license back. Following my first seizure last September I made it four months before having another grand mal. Now I have been seizure-free for five months, and can hardly wait until July 25th, when I can reapply to have my driving privileges restored. Please pray for me....it's been way too long! As much as I am happy to be allowed to drive again, I am nervous that I could possibly have another seizure, which could end in catastrophe. Who knows what the best rule is? I just pray that I don't ever cause harm to another human due to my seizures. My best to all! Kathy

Old 06-27-2002, 09:00 PM   #7

Rainfeather HB User
Simona...

I am going through this with my Fiance`. He has epileptic seizures due to an accident he had in '97. The Drs. pulled his lisence and had to fill out a speical form saying he had been seizure free for at least 6 months in order for him to try to get it back. Two days after getting this form he had another one and decided on his own that it wasn't safe for him to drive. We live in Illinois, and even though he is on meds the state will not reissue a CDL due to the seizures.

As for insurance...call them and talk to them, better safe than sorry.

Rainfeather

Old 06-29-2002, 02:22 AM   #8
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Talking

Good luck with your licence,Kathy.I hope you succeed,I know all too well what It's like not to drive,and I too get nervous,but I find St johns wort seems to make me feel good.Think positive.
all the best,Garry

Old 07-03-2002, 04:37 AM   #9

heatherbellamy HB User
In Ohio you have to be seizure free for 6mths. For me that is impossible. Right now, I do drive (w/ my Dr. ok),and I will always have to have high risk insurance. I know when a seizure is coming on, I don't drive 2 days before or after.
I have had times when I was not aloud to drive for 6 mths. My friends and family would take me to work during that time. If you dont have anyone that can help, what about the bus or a cab?

Closed Thread