It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2002, 07:23 AM   #1

Vanflint HB User
Post greetings

hi everyone! i'm a newbie here..just stumbled upon the site and was instantly impressed by the wonderful people posting messages. i already feel welcomed and loved! i'm 48 and just recently diagnosed with epilepsy. i'm a courier for federal express..however, since being diagnosed, i've lost my job (i drove for a living). here in georgia, i must go 6 months seizure free before i can drive again..but federal express has already told me that i can never drive for them again (because i'm on dilantin i guess). i hate the fact that i'm going to have to start all over in the job market at 48. i loved my job. however, i do realize that so many people have it worse than me. thank God for my wife and step-daughter (tracie and amanda) who have been SO supportive of me. i've only been married for 3 months now..and this is the present i give my new bride hahahaha! anyway,i look forward to getting to know some of you via this message board. what a wonderful thing. best of luck to you all! Van

Old 07-05-2002, 08:01 AM   #2
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hi Vanflint

Welcome to healthboards hon.. I know how you feel as I lost my job too however my loss was different as I was hired on with them knowing I had epilepsy I worked on trains for a good company, I also know if the CEO found out he would probably have a heartattack (dear family friend) so I chose not to say anything to him and just keep it to myself. So I know what your going through and yes it's hard to change later on in life. I would take it one day at a time hon. and just beleive you can do anything you want to do. This is your life and no one can stop you. Goals are meant to be achieved and now you need to set new goals. Theres alot of us on this bb that have had trouble in the work place but we still carry on knowing we are all good people, workers etc and just have a few setbacks.

Hugs
Koko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2002, 09:29 AM   #3
Inactive

nicola76 HB User
Smile

Hello Van!

Welcome to the Boards! Sorry to hear that you have lost your job but you seem to have a positive, upbeat attitude which is excellent.

There are loads of great people here who are always full of great advice and willing to lend a listening ear.

Take care and keep in touch.

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif Nic

Old 07-05-2002, 03:30 PM   #4
Inactive

Karla HB User
Just remember marriage is forever, and that is a mighty long time. You said in sickness and in health and so did she. Lighten up. Epilepsy is not the end of the world. You will get through this. And you will get through it as a family. Lean on her. I am sure she is stronger than you realize.

Old 07-05-2002, 04:55 PM   #5

Vanflint HB User
Wink

thanks for the good words all! there sure are alot of nice people out there. hope i can be of some help to someone too. i've been reading some posts about side effects of dilantin. i have taken 400mgs of dilantin (actually the generic henytoin) daily for 3 months...sometimes i feel lethargic..and sometimes it seems to mess with my memory (my wife says i'm just getting old! lol!) otherwise..no problems..i would be interested to hear from people on phenytoin and any side effects the are or have been experiencing...thanks again! Van

Old 07-05-2002, 07:35 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi Van,
I can relate to your age, and being diagnosed at our young (Ha Ha) age. I had my first grand mal last September, at 47. I'll be 48 next Monday, the 8th., and my seizures were a total, unwelcome shock. It's been life-changing, but I am fortunate, like you, to have a wonderful and supportive family and circle of friends. My work schedule was cut back, partially by my Doc, partially by my employer. I'm still adjusting to the not driving thing, and will actually be eligible to reapply for my license on July 25...the six month seizure free day! I can't wait, but will always live in fear of having another seizure....hopefully not in the car! So, welcome to the board...the people here really are great, and certainly know what you're going through. Be well, Kathy

Old 07-05-2002, 08:41 PM   #7

mnsnellers HB User
Welcome Van from another newbie. I too stumbled across this board by accident and have found a lot of good information here. I do have a question for you, there is a generic form of dilantin? I wish my doctor would have told me this because I could have maybe saved some money on insurance co-pays, because my co-pay is $30 on brand name and 20 on generic. Oh well, I guess my doc knows best. Welcome again and thank you to everyone who posts here for their support and alot of good information.

Jason MN

Old 07-06-2002, 05:47 AM   #8

Vanflint HB User
thanks for the post mn...yes, the generic for dilantin is phenytoin..with my insurance (cigna) i pay only 5 dollars per month..i sure cant complain about that. ask your doctor..and best of luck to you! Van

Old 07-06-2002, 05:49 AM   #9

Vanflint HB User
sorry..i meant to say "thanks for the post Jason FROM mn"....forgive me my friend..Van

Old 07-07-2002, 10:51 AM   #10

pacemaker HB User
Vanflint:
Sorry to here that you lost your job.Couldn't they
give you a different job there? Welcome to the board
We are all there for you !! I like you had my 1st
seizure at age 48 just out of the blue. Congrats on
your marriage best of luck,to you ,Traci, and Amanda

Peace
Pacemaker

Old 07-07-2002, 11:09 AM   #11

pacemaker HB User
Krazykico:
Happy Birthday one day early It's good to hear
you might get your Driver License back
Peace
Pacemaker

Old 07-07-2002, 07:33 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi Pacemaker,
Thank you for the Birthday greeting! Also, I appreciate the kind words about my license. I am so excited. Hope all is well. Kathy

Old 07-10-2002, 11:50 PM   #13

Piano HB User
Hi Van! What a coincidence...I work for FedEx too. Not driving, tho. I do customs brokerage. Have you tried just switching positions within the company? They may jerk me around a lot, but I still love FedEx. Call me crazy!

Piano

Old 07-11-2002, 07:53 AM   #14

Vanflint HB User
thanks for the reply piano! i DO love fed ex. i have lost my driving postion with the company but would love to get another non-driving position. the problem is..there has to be another postion open to bid on. i cant re-locate..my wife also works for fed ex and we own a home in macon..my step daughter loves the schools here and my elderly parents live inthe area also...im hoping a csa position becomes available...but hey..everything happens for a reason..so....it will all work out..either returning to fed ex in another position..or ..venturing out to a new position with another company..either way..i'm staying positive..i can drive my personal vehicle in another 3 months provided i stay seizure free..good luck to you piano!

Closed Thread