It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2002, 06:04 AM   #1

heatherbellamy HB User
Arrow seizures caused by stress

Life is filled with stressful situations. My doctor says that is what causes most of my seizures. In order for me to not seizure as often, I have to learn how to release built up stress and anger.

I have tried kick boxing, tae bo, weight lifting, running and walking. I also garden, do construction some weekends(my dad has his own company), and do all of the yard work. These seem to slow down some of my seizures at times, but I still have about 6-8 days of seizures a mth with about 24-32 episodes (sometimes more).

I have a full time job, 2 teenagers, 3 want to be teenagers, a husband, and my ex and his ex spouses.

I can go for days, weeks or months before I will say what is bothering me, instead I do one of those mentioned above until I feel better. Then I have a seizure.

Anyone else out there like me? Or maybe ideas?

I did stop working for medical reasons at one time, that didn't help. I needed to be with people (adults)

------------------
heather

Old 07-12-2002, 11:16 PM   #2

mom4all HB User
Heather
Have you ever considered that your seizures are allergic reactions. My son began having seizures at age 5. The neurologist put him on Tegratol, which did not help much, then on Dilantin which had him so stoned he didn't know which way was up. I kept asking what had started this whole mess, but the only response was that some kids are just like that. After many months of research I found the only common denominator in all the reading I had done was allergy. After reading numerous books on allergies I finally began eliminating certain foods from his diet and after three months determined that dairy products were his enemy. After three months of no dairy and no seizures, I weaned him off the anti-convulsants and he has been seizure free now for more than 14 years.
The doctors and even family and friends thought I was right nuts to try this but we did have success. I know it is not true for everyone, however, I have counselled numerous others over the years and all but one has had the same result. It is a harmless trial and yet in some cases can be life changing.
The most frustrating for most is that the allergin is usually the individuals favorite food. (Note: one lady found that her allergin was an ingredient in her toothpaste, it is not always a food)
Best of luck
'Mom'

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2002, 11:40 AM   #3

WhiteWolfSpirits HB User
Red face

i had a trigr pnt injekshun for "sciatica and piriformis syndrom" tht wnt into mi spinl flud and kazd brane damg and sezurs. thy sa tht the sezurs i am havin now howevr, ar stres relatd. I thnk i am nuts.
white wolf

Old 07-16-2002, 04:48 PM   #4

Piano HB User
White wolf--I hate to ask, but does that have something to do with your difficuly in spelling? (Please nobody flame me, I'm not being rude, I'm just curious).

Piano

Old 07-17-2002, 04:15 PM   #5

PatM HB User
Lightbulb

heather,
your description of your daily schedule sounds like the problem right there. how can anyone be as busy as you and not have some reaction to that stress. slow down. you have to look out for #1 first. it may seem that everyone you have mentioned needs you more than you can imagine, but you are not going to be any good to them if you are not healthy. when is the last time you have had a full night's sleep. my kids learned how to quietly get ready for school on their own at an early age. keep a log of when your seizures occur and try to pin down the times that you are having seizures in relationship to different stressfull things in your life. this way you may be able to pin down what is stressfull in your life. i like to walk under the local turnpike a let out a primal scream now and then to release tension too. good luck, PatM

Closed Thread