It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2002, 08:16 PM   #1

Beth's Mom HB User
Post Beth Craves Salt, Big Time....

Several of you mentioned that you had low potassium levels resulting from seizures.
Beth eats mostly pototoes...but asks for extra salt on them, even on McDonald's french fries. She also likes salty packaged beef.
I had always thought that it was just a personal preference for salt.
Do any of you like an excessive amount of potatoes in what you eat?
Know salt was posted before, but worth brining up again.
I recall on the previous board how one guy said that too much water seemed to bring on seizures and if he was dehydrated he was better...a couple of people agreed with him.
Just mentioning anything that might ring a bell for someone.
Marilyn

Old 05-23-2002, 10:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User
Hi Marilyn,
I do seem to crave salt myself. I try not to add extra salt, but usually sneak it into most foods. It's good that Beth eats lots of potatoes, because they have lots of potassium. It's true that cravings usually mean that there's something lacking in our bodies. When I was little, I'm told I craved dirt and detergent. My mother was going crazy, because it was an insatiable craving. Come to find out it was due to a serious vitamin deficiency. Maybe Beth craves iodine?! If it wasn't for the fact that I have a history of high blood pressure, I'd just salt away, but have to be careful. So, I guess I'll stick to sneaking a little every now and then! Good luck with Beth and her salt shaking! Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2002, 10:20 PM   #3
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Ohhh I love salt I have it on everything and I am like beth, I luv potatoes (spelling).. specially mashed potatoes with lotsa salt and butter

Hugs
Koko

Old 05-24-2002, 01:08 PM   #4

Kimba523 HB User
Talking

I would whither away if I couldn't have my potatos and my salt. I put salt on my pizza! The only time I WON'T add salt is if I have TONS of GARLIC! Of course, I think the potato craving is just purely my carb-cravings. Everything I eat is carbs...potatos, pastas, breads...just stick me in an Italian Eatery. I do have to say, though, the extra salt and salt-on-pizza thing wasn't always my thing. Perhaps, the meds cause some kind of deficiency that salt replaces? Things that make you go Hmmmm?
Kimba

Old 07-21-2002, 03:43 AM   #5

lexander HB User
I have a huge craving for salt. I've actually been trying to figure out why. I eat tons of it on everything, and I even love to eat it by itself. I know this is strange, but I can't seem to help it.
The only thing I've found other than a mineral deficiency to cause this was a small article that said that children crave salt if thier mothers had bad morning sickness with them. I dont know if there is any truth to that or not, but the article stated there was a study done, so... I'll have to talk to my mom about it when I get a chance, see if that is even a possiblility in my case.
I dont know, I just wanted to share a few thoughts...

-Lex

Old 07-21-2002, 08:36 AM   #6

^enigma^ HB User
This is very weird. I dont if there is any connection at all but even before i started having seizures i put salt on pretty much everything. Other than that i eat really healthy. Every since i started having seizures I now put many times more salt on things than i did before. To my wife it is an unbearable amount. Oh well, just my point of view.

Old 07-21-2002, 12:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
I don't have this type of medical problem, so I don't know the do's and don'ts for you guys....but I just had to sneak in here for this topic on salt.....I've been on the water cure diet and I'm suppose to have a mineral based sea/salt ...1/4 tea. for every quart of water I drink. The minerals in the sea/salt help replace some of the electrolytes in the system, I also take Magnesium citrate, and get potassium daily, then I'm on Maca, which replaces Iodine only if the system needs it, which I don't because I'm on a thyroid med. to shut my thyroid off. Iodine is needed for good thyroid function. The sea/salt is much diff. than regular table salt(sodium cloride) but a person needs there iodine daily, so for my daughter she uses the sea/salt w/iodine...it doesn't have the minerals, but she likes it coz it doesn't burn as much as regular.

Any one ever heard of this diet? I've been able to keep my weight off too, I went on this watercure diet, right after I lost 15,lbs. on the carohydrates addict diet. Diana

Closed Thread