It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2002, 08:24 AM   #1

smithbl HB User
Question normal EEG's?

I have had seizures for the past few months now, out of the blue. I was put on 1000mg of Depakote. But, I have had 2 EEG's now, and they both came back normal. I have been seeing a psychiatrist for a while now, and he says that there are no symptoms of pseudo seizures. Have any of you had normal EEG's, but were still diagnosed with epilepsy? Does anyone know the false negative rate for the EEG's (how many times people have normal EEG's, but it turns out they have epilepsy after all)? And, are there any other test that they can run that might prove otherwise.

Old 07-22-2002, 03:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Lisa T HB User
I'm not really sure what the range is for the eeg's, but I have had two and they came back normal. Then I also had a ambulatory one and it too came back normal. So from my experience it seems to be common to have normal readings. My docs told me it can be very tricky to catch seizures on the eeg's.

Hope this helped alittle!! Take care!

Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2002, 03:42 PM   #3

mnsnellers HB User
As far as I know, out of all the EEGs that I have had, only one has come back showing the possible beginning of a seizure and that was a sleep deprived EEG. My DR told me that to catch a seizure on an EEG is very rare and the fact the I had the beginnings of a seizure on my EEG told him that I was having them frequently enough that something needed to be done and done now. I hope everything works out for you.

Jason

Closed Thread