It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2002, 07:03 AM   #1

deeztwinz HB User
Question just a question

i just have a small question.
my daughter is 8 yo and has been healthy except for few ear infections. thursday evening we were walking in to a diner when her legs became jelly like and she said she was dizzy and was going to be sick. we left the diner and sat in the car when she became unresponsive, meaning her eyes were open but she was just totally out of it. occasionally her eyes would roll. it was like she couldnt focus. we called the dr on call for her ped and he said it was just a virus to just bring her home and put her to bed and if she was still like that in the morning to call her ped. we brought her to the ER cuz she still wasnt coming out of it. the spacing lasted like 10 minutes and she was still kinda out of it till we got to the er 10 minutes after. went into the triage and the nurse there checked her out. my daughter still could not walk and was slow on her responses when questioned how she felt. they brought her right away into a room and hooked her up to monitors. we explained to the dr that i have a history of seizures and my brother also has epilepsy and so does my aunt. he said that it sounds like she had a petit mal seizure. the nurse told him she appeared to be in the post ictil state when we arrived at the hospital.
her ped dr saw her the next day and he agrees that what she was was a petit mal seizure. and has referred her to a child neuro for a consult and a sleep deprived eeg. but we have to wait till aug 29 to see him cuz he is booked solid.
what i want to know is can this just start out of the blue with nothing else going on. she had no fever no cold she was totally fine. talking and joking before this hit. now she complains of a headache every day. and gets tired easily.
thank u in advance for replying.
deeztwinz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2002, 07:16 AM   #2

casandria HB User
How scary! Epilepsy runs in my family, too and my son is currently being evaluated. He had a sleep deprived EEG last Tues, but we haven't gotten the results back yet. I know it's frustrating having to wait to see a neuro. If you're not comfortable waiting that long (I know I wouldn't be) you can ask for another referral or ask to be put on the waiting list for a cancellation.

Epilepsy can hit at any time and can also be so subtle in the beginning that you don't notice it. I've had atypical seizures all my life and then boom, 3 weeks ago I had a grand mal out of no where and have been much worse ever since. There's a theory called kindling where neurological disorders that go untreated (even some that do get treated) get worse over time.

Not to freak you out, but she may have been having tiny seizures for a while and they've gotten worse or it may have just come out of the blue. You may never know. Epilepsy is bad enough, but when it affects our kids (when anything affects our kids) it's much worse. Please keep us posted on how she's doing.

Old 06-29-2002, 01:15 PM   #3

oliviastar1 HB User
Smile

Hey, I just had my first seizure out of the blue as well about a month ago. I was perfectly fine one day, had gone to the gym and then to lunch with my boyfriend then all the sudden I woke up in the hospital. My Dr. said seizures can just come on to anyone with a disorder in the brain and they can also just leave one day and you will never have another one again. My doctor told me that I do not have epilepsy but a siezure disorder, which is different but basically the same. Maybe that will help.

Old 06-30-2002, 08:21 AM   #4

pacemaker HB User
Cool

HEY Deeztwinz:
I had my 1st seizure out of the blue at age 48.
It was a grand-mal. We are all there for you!!!!
Peace
Pacemaker

Old 07-03-2002, 04:16 AM   #5

heatherbellamy HB User
I hope you can get a earlier appt. for your daughter. This can't be easy for her at 8.

My seizures started 6mths before we knew what they were. I notice my left arm would give out and I would get lightheaded with a tingle sensation throughout my head and left half of my body, no one thought anything of it. Six months later I had several grand mal seizures. 20 years later I have had less grand mal but have other types.

Good Luck. Let us know how her Dr. appt went.

Old 07-12-2002, 11:28 PM   #6

mom4all HB User
deeztwinz
My son's first seizure was also just out of the blue at age five. I later realized that he had probably been having petit mal seizures for quite some time when I had thought he was just ignoring me and being unresponsive for short periods of time.
After many months of research and frustration I learned that my son had a dairy allergy and when I eliminated the dairy totally from his diet the chronic ear infections and seizures stopped. That was more than 14 years ago. Maybe this is an avenue you could try, but beware many doctors told me it was bunk, but my son is still sensitive to dairy products if ever even a little is ingested.
Keep us all posted.

Old 07-23-2002, 12:40 PM   #7

hayley's mom HB User
Hi! I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. My daughter, 19 months also has seizures and from what you are explaining I agree it was a seizure. If there is a Children's hospital in your area, you should be referred there. The 29th is an eternity to wait for tests, I know. My daughters post-ictal period can last 24 hours. I hope things are well and that you are getting the urgent care that you need. Best of luck - keep us posted!

Old 07-23-2002, 12:42 PM   #8

hayley's mom HB User
Wink

oops - forgot to mention that yes they can happen out of the clear blue sky. My daughters do. When they get older I think they start to recognize signs of feeling one come on!

Old 07-23-2002, 07:07 PM   #9

mnsnellers HB User
I am 30 and still have no idea when one is coming on. The only ones I can tell, and I am not even sure if they are seizures or not, is the deja vu feeling I get occasionally. I read somewhere that these may be seizures, but I am not sure. So many questions, so few answers.

Jason

Closed Thread